Under general direction, is responsible for managing and implementing procurement and contract initiation, monitoring, and compliance activities for construction and design projects, in accordance with the City's procurement and contracting policies and procedures. Working conditions are in an office environment with occasional project site visits, if necessary. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
- Conducts training of employees in the procedures and techniques required in the performance of their duties. Assists staff by providing technical guidance and direction.
- Provides oversight for the timely procurement of goods and non- professional services. In addition, will oversee the facilitation of procurement professional services and discretionary contracts (expenditure and revenue) in accordance with City procurement policies and all other applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures.
- Develops and/or identifies proposed improvement to contracting programs, policies and procedures.
- Researches market sources and vendors to locate and ensure most cost effective and competitive pricing for the purchase of supplies and services. Prepares and issues solicitation documents.
- Receives and evaluates proposals and bids; awards or recommends the award of contracts.
- Oversees and actively participates in negotiation, renegotiation and termination of contracts with vendors.
- Interviews, selects, supervises, develops, evaluates, counsels, and if necessary, disciplines personnel according to established COSA policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Directs a variety of outreach activities and ensures that small, women and minority-owned business have an equitable opportunity to participate in procurement.
- Maintains a list of purchasing liaisons of departments assigned and coordinates training for department liaisons as necessary.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Five (5) years increasingly responsible experience in procurement, contract management and compliance, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience in small business advocacy programs.
- Experience with e-Procurement systems.
- Experience with public sector procurement/contracting.
- Experience with SAP or similar software or programs.
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
- Knowledge of procurement and contract management standards, planning, solicitation processes, procurement and contract monitoring and compliance practices.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws, ordinances, policies, procedures and regulations pertaining to procurement and contracts.
- Knowledge of personnel administration principles and practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices, procedures, and techniques.
- Knowledge of City policies regarding small, women and minority-owned business vendors and awards.
- Skill in the proficient operation of personal computers & associated software.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard and other basic office equipment.
- Ability to understand procurement and contract management data, documents, and reports.
- Ability to understand and interpret financial and cost accounting data.
- Ability to work independently and perform procurement and contract service projects from inception to completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, City Management and their staff, vendors and contract service providers, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to perform all the intellectual and analytical requirements of the position, including decision-making.
The City of San Antonio (CoSA) strives to provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to attract and retain a highly skilled workforce. To accomplish this, CoSA offers subsidized health care benefits for active and retired employees, paid disability benefits, paid life insurance, as well as automatic participation in a pension program which is currently matched two to one.
For more detailed information, please click on the following link to view Benefits offered by the City of San Antonio:
- Part-Time and Temporary positions are not eligible for CoSA Benefits.
- Holiday and Leave benefits for Pre-K 4 SA positions may be different than what is listed at the above link.
The City Of San Antonio is an Equal Opportunity/Reasonable Accommodation Employer. This means that the City does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex (gender), age, disability, national origin, genetic information, or sexual orientation. All individuals are encouraged to apply and compete for jobs with the City of San Antonio.
If you require assistance at any stage of the application process due to a disability, please contact the Human Resources Department so that accommodations may be made to meet your needs. Our telephone number is 210-207-8705 and our fax number is 210-207-2285.