POSITION TITLE: Processing Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: The Processing Manager is responsible for the management and direction of all processing operations at the Sparboe Farms complex. The purpose of this role is to plan, direct, and oversee all processing business concerns including: egg grading and packaging, warehousing and transportation, personnel and budget management, cost and operating efficiencies control. In addition to providing management oversight of day-to-day operations and long-term processing work, activities, and project work, the Processing Manager will manage government relations (local and county) and the processes and staff of the administrative offices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Continuously lead Safety program and initiatives for the processing operation. Support other safety matters throughout the Complex and Company. Ensure that all employees are working safely. Manage retraining and implement change with purpose and urgency.
- Oversee processing operations areas, including processing plant and warehouse. Work with specialty leaders and teams on projects, activities and issues that address Processing methods and personnel to ensure Sparboe strategic and tactical priorities are successfully addressed. Ensure proper execution of all Processing SOPs.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s).
- Report any food safety and quality issues/problems to personnel with authority to initiate action.
- Oversee and conduct daily audits/reviews of processing facilities independently and in conjunction with manager to ensure that efficiency, quality, safety, and productivity meet Company and Customer standards and expectations.
- Maintain and manage product quality, meeting Sparboe and USDA guidelines. Ensure that machinery and employees are working effectively in supporting egg and packaging quality.
- Manage all inventory processes, including in-bound and out-bound eggs, packaging, etc., ensuring efficiencies, elimination of waste and proper flow and rotation in all processing areas. Working closely with Sales and Customer
- Service, manage the daily activities of order processing and transportation. Manage process effectively and closely to control labor and transportation costs and customer profit.
- Communicate with customers to address immediate and ongoing needs, priorities, questions and complaints in a timely fashion and respond effectively in accordance with any customer agreement, Sparboe’s supply chain process and business requirements.
- Working with the Directors of Processing and Production and the Production Manager, effectively manage all Complex expenditures including operating budget and capital investments related to Processing.
- Manage all expense and budget aspects of processing operations at the complex. Focus on reducing and controlling processing labor costs. Manage the effective schedule of processing employees, driving toward minimizing costs and maximizing labor efficiencies.
- Monitor and oversee the daily/routine activities for the Processing group from the floor. Lead activities and programs to prevent accidents and injuries, equipment and facility damage and disasters.
- Select and hire all Processing employees. Collaborate effectively with Human Resources to ensure recruiting and staffing practices are consistent with Sparboe policy and labor laws. Oversee job changes and promotions for internal candidates.
- Manage performance, compensation issues and decisions, and training plans for salaried and hourly employees. Work within labor budgets and salary ranges to reward and compensate employees based on performance and skills.
- Manage the action plan resulting from the annual succession planning process to ensure a continuous flow of talent exists for key Processing positions.
- Supervise the Complex administrative and reporting process. Ensure all reported information is verified and accurate prior to distribution.
- Manage the Sparboe relationships with the Litchfield and surrounding community and local and county governments to retain a positive role in the community and to ensure Sparboe business interests are represented appropriately.
- Implements & reviews the company’s SQF system.
- Ensures the integrity of the operational functions of the SQF system
- Communicates to relevant staff information to effectively implement the SQF system.
- Lead problem solving and troubleshooting activities for Processing. Lead the continuous process improvement initiatives. Be alert to better, more cost effective and efficient ways of running the processing operation. Administer and implement such improvement programs as are developed for Processing.
- Perform other duties as assigned or appropriate.
SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES WITH PRODUCTION MANAGER:
- In conjunction with Production Manager, oversee the management of the Complex 24/7. This includes managing response coverage procedures and schedules, in addition to being available on nights and weekends for emergency response and coverage. Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of a disaster recovery and business continuity planning for the Complex.
- Partner with the Production Manager in the oversight of Complex compliance program, including animal welfare, bio-security, HACCP/SQF, social accountability and safety to ensure that our procedures are understood and adhered to by
- Complex employees and visitors and meet Sparboe and customer expectations.
- Work with governmental regulatory agencies on compliance matters involving the Processing side of the complex.
- Maintain all Complex permits. Produce DNR reports on waste water, analyze results and recommend follow-up actions.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability and experience in successfully supervising and directing people and their work. Lead by example, jumping in when necessary to keep operation moving. Ability to motivate and lead employees.
- College graduate
- Ability and willingness to communicate routine and urgent processing issues and needs to Manager and other Sr.
- Management. Escalate issues as appropriate and in a timely fashion to ensure information is shared effectively
- Ability to work successfully with all levels of employees and internal groups/teams, while providing leadership and coaching as appropriate and necessary. Ability to work with outside vendors and suppliers.
- Collaborative; ability to influence people in all roles, levels in the organization.
- Strong leadership, management, operational and analytical skills.
- Ability to discern quickly, capture the essence of a problem and make sound judgments from minimal information.
- Ability to translate observations into actionable plans
- Ability to think and act strategically with the capacity for growth in strategic thinking ability.
- Strong problem-solving skills, and proven project management and continuous improvement experience and coordination of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Open and direct communicator; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be self-directed in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Focus on accuracy and detail
- Analytical skills
- Sound judgment and unwavering ethics
- Self- motivation, independent work habits
- Strong computer skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are only accepted online. Please follow the link on this posting to fill out an application.
Sparboe is an equal opportunity employer.