Department: Client Services
We’re offering you the unique opportunity to serve as our first Principal Technical Support Engineer. This exciting new role will be responsible, in part, for helping propel our Technical Support organization to World-Class-Status. Candidates must have a strong technical acumen, knowledge of tools, automation, and innovation that will aid in the support process, and champion/develop innovative principles and ideas.
The right candidate will provide guidance and oversight to the Technical Support team on complex issues and develop innovative ways for future troubleshooting. Candidates will work to establish a functional lab that will be used as a means of ongoing team training. The candidate will work with the R&D organization to update the lab as new products, features, and software etc. are released. The candidate will implement advanced troubleshooting techniques and ensure knowledge is transferred to the team.
Duties & Responsibilities to include (but not limited to)
- Applies advance technical expertise to resolve complex customer issues in a dynamic high demand environment.
- Uses advance trouble-shooting tools and common analytical practices to help determine best way to resolve identified and unidentified problems.
- Recommends and utilizes a wide variety of test equipment, diagnostic tools, and techniques used in problem resolution.
- Performs advance analysis of log data and network traces.
- Maintains a “closed-loop communication style assuring all appropriate individuals are notified of ongoing issues and problem resolution status.
- Works closely with peers and internal SMEs to increase technical working knowledge within the Support organization.
- Responsible for sharing all acquired knowledge concerning problem resolution.
- Contributes to and manages Knowledgebase (On-Line-Job-Aid).
- May perform senior or expert level tasks similar to R&D for assigned products.
- Follows through on issues that need resolution and understands and utilizes appropriate escalation.
- Will take on extra responsibility and non-routine assignments.
- Makes and meets commitments. Follows through on issues that need resolution even when outside area of responsibility.
- Uses judgment, creativity and sound technical knowledge to obtain and recommend solutions. Identifies, documents and reports design, reliability and maintenance issues.
- Gains support and commitment from others and mobilizes people to take action.
- Validates technical information, issues early warnings, and disseminates information as needed.
- Develop hardware/software diagnostics tools to facilitate system troubleshooting and resolution of complex systems problems previously not encountered.
- Act as a resource on major/complex consulting opportunities including investigation, feasibility studies, systems analysis, definition of user requirements, development of technical approach, testing, training and overall project control.
- Participate in both instructor lead and independent training opportunities to stay abreast of new product portfolios. Provide technical evaluation and input when new products are released.
- As a 24X7X365 organization on-call responsibilities are required.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science / Engineering or proven experience in system engineering, networking, and technical support.
- Linux system administration understanding and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge in TCP/IP Networking, VMWare, Linux (Red Hat, Ubuntu, or CentOS),
- Ability to build queries and interpret query results and troubleshoot DB issues.
- Good understanding of client/server connectivity, certificates, signing and troubleshooting
- Understanding of CPU, memory, BIOS settings, RAID configurations, and system functionality.
- Understand how to build and troubleshoot VM issues in an application client/server environment including network configuration.
- Networks – Ability to setup, configure, troubleshoot networks, analyze packet captures, address performance issues.
- Familiar with writing scripts and creating tools with bash or python.
- Excellent customer interfacing skills.
- Working knowledge of network protocols such as http, https, UDP, Multicast
- Extensive and refined troubleshooting skills at a system and network level
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Must have extremely high level of written and oral communication skills.
Background in any of the following areas would be considered an asset
- Experience in CDN video delivery architecture, streaming media technologies, and enterprise storage is a plus.
- IPTV, ABR and Cable video transmission fundamentals.
- Cable, Telephony, Networking or Video Delivery industry experience preferred
- Familiarity in working with incident management software applications such as Sales Force Service Cloud, JIRA, and Confluence.
Why it’s great to work at Vecima
Vecima is a global leader focused on developing integrated hardware and scalable software solutions for broadband access, content delivery and storage and telematics. We enable the world’s leading innovators to advance, connect, entertain, and analyze. We build technologies that transform content delivery and storage, enable high-capacity broadband network access, and streamline data analytics.
Experience a great culture, casual dress, fun company events such as Game Days, Potlucks, Holiday Parties, Onsite Massages, free snacks and beverages, etc.
Headquartered in Victoria, Canada with offices in Atlanta, Ga, Duluth, Ga, London, England, Tokyo Japan, The Hague, Netherlands and multiple offices in Canada. We offer competitive salaries, benefits and company matching 401(k) We are an equal opportunity employer committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce.