Soft Robotics Inc. is a venture-backed startup in Bedford, MA that integrates patented soft actuator technologies and a proprietary vision system into robotic gripping and autonomous manipulation solutions that can handle items of varying size, shape and weight with high-speed, precision, and a human-like touch. By leveraging the science of soft robotics, it is now possible to automate facilities that have traditionally depended upon manual labor for bin picking, order fulfillment, and other complex pick and place tasks. This technology is proven in manufacturing installations today and enabling new robotic solutions for the food supply chain, advanced manufacturing applications, and the e-commerce logistics industry.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to participate in R&D and Product Development activities. The ideal candidate will be an experienced software engineer who is comfortable working on complex robotics systems. Potential areas of work include robot system integration, PLC programming, fleet control, cloud storage, user applications, build engineering, or system architecture. You will work on a variety of customer-focused projects throughout the product development life cycle, from initial proofs of concept through robust production-ready implementations.
- Software architecture design and development;
- Design for safety, manufacturability, reliability and test;
- Perform system test and debug;
- Design and run verification and validation test protocols;
- Support manufacturing and test;
- Participate in risk management and design control activities;
- Participate in design reviews and document development activities per established product development process;
- Mentor junior engineers and interns/coops;
- Other duties as required.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent;
- 5+ years of professional software development experience, or 3+ years of professional experience with 2+ years of advanced academic training beyond a BS
- Proficiency in C/C++;
- Comfortable developing software in a Linux environment;
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Proficiency in the creation and maintenance of documentation;
- Demonstrated track record of exceptional individual performance in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to details;
- Ability to work independently but also thrives in highly integrated team environments.
- 7+ years of experience in product development organizations ideally working under a certified quality system;
- Experience with “best practices” such as issue tracking, static code checking, and automated testing;
- Versatility in other disciplines (Mechanical and Electrical Engineering) or “Maker” experience;
- Experience with machine vision or machine learning;
- Experience with Node.js and Elastic Stack;
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements for software development in a commercial/industrial setting;
- Familiarity with microprocessor/microcontroller systems;
- Ability to execute complex assembly and test procedures and gather data;
- A passion for robotics is preferred!