The Postdoctoral Research Associate – Virology (Virologist) position reports to the Senior Research Scientist. The ideal job candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience working with RNA viruses and the ability to translate this knowledge into practice. Interest in and experience working with a small team in an entrepreneurial, high-paced environment with broad responsibilities and opportunities is highly desirable. The candidate should be able to lead independent projects and be an effective team player who thrives in an environment where excellence, accountability, and innovation are critical for success.
The Virologist will investigate different aspects of viral metabolism and its regulation by natural compounds using in vitro and in vivo approaches. The scientist will work as a member of cross-functional research teams and interact with external collaborators/vendors. The Virologist will provide project updates to the Research Director, present research results at professional meetings and in publications, as well as occasionally provide education to the general public. The candidate must be self-motivated, stay current with the literature, and should have strong written and oral communication skills.
Salary: $28.00-$34.00/hour-depending on experience
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Discount
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Employing serological and molecular techniques in order to study viruses
- Testing the effect viruses have on organic matter by studying the impact of the viral infection on living tissues of humans and animals
- Writing up technical reports and creating presentations for the communication of research results to interested parties
- Designing, executing, and overseeing experiments, and maintaining detailed records of experiments and outcomes
- Working with internal teams as well as academic and other collaborators and vendors
- Authoring and reviewing virology data in support of key regulatory documents and publications
- Maintaining lab stock, managing chemical inventory and safety records, providing general lab support and helping with general lab maintenance as needed.
- Doctorate Degree
- 2+ years of experience in Virology
- MD and/or PhD degree in microbiology, bio-chemistry, or a related field with practical experience/training in virology, molecular virology, or viral oncology
- Preferably 2+ years of post-graduate experience with proven successful laboratory research in industrial or academic setting
- Experience using laboratory equipment and tools, including air samplers or collectors, spectrometers, analyzing equipment, and sterilizing equipment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to translate ideas and data into concise written and/or verbal communications for publications, conference presentations, clinical study reports, and regulatory filings
- RNA and DNA isolation/purification
- Stable/transient transfection/transduction (Lipofectamine, FuGene 6, lenti/adeno/retrovirus, electroporation, siRNA, etc.)
- Protein expression
- PCR, qPCR, qPCR-array
- Mutagenesis, EMSA, ChIP
- Cell-based assays
- Cloning and generation of RNA viruses using recombinant DNA techniques
- Characterization of RNA viruses by Western blots, growth curves, and sequence analyses of virus genomes
- Designing and performing antibody assays (e.g., plaque neutralization assays), ELISA, and other immunology assays
- Generation, propagation, quantification, detection, storage of viruses, in vitro and in vivo viral infections.
Indeed Hire and Dr. Rath Research Institute, B.V. are working together to find the best candidate for this job. By applying, you agree to be contacted by our agent, Indeed Hire, and receive updates via text and phone about your application.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $28.00 – $34.00 per hour
- Virology: 2 years (Required)
- Lab equipment and tools: 1 year (Required)
- proven successful laboratory research: 2 years (Required)
- San Jose, CA 95138: Between 31 and 40 miles (Preferred)