- Functioning as part of a psychiatric care team working with other physicians, physician extenders, nurses and/or other support staff.
- Primary responsibilities may be outpatient, inpatient, residential, consultation or a combination depending on the need of the service line.
- Privileges will consist of: admissions, discharges, diagnosis, work-up, and ongoing/continuity of care of Veterans (to include consultation for patients who suffer from various mental health disorders).
- Providing high quality and efficient care and be able to work well in an interdisciplinary team setting.
- Physician may be required to see patient(s) one-on-one in a private office, residential, inpatient or Emergency Room setting. The position may also provide education and training to residents, medical students, and clinical staff. Academic affiliation with the University of Kansas Medical Center is possible.
- Work Flow: returning patients are generally see in in 30 minute follow-up slots and new patients are scheduled for an hour in the outpatient areas. Inpatient and residential care is determined by need of the patient.
- Continuum of Care: General outpatient, substance abuse outpatient, mental health intensive case management, general residential, PTSD residential, sub-acute inpatient, inpatient substance abuse, Community living center, acute medical, acute inpatient and ER.
Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Physicians, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 12/31/2021. Please email inquiries to [email protected]
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board eligibility/Board Certification in Psychiatry. Also ACLS and BLS certification.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; walking (3 hours per day); standing (6 hours per day); kneeling (2 hours per day); both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted).
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Performance Appraisal
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. The Education Debt Reduction programs offers eligible applicants up to $200,000 (tax free!) for reimbursement of qualifying educational loans. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
A recruitment/relocation incentive may be available for highly qualified candidates.
Major functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
Work Schedule: Primarily Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday for full time.
Call Schedule: Call is shared with the other psychiatrists and APRNs. There are shared weekday and weekend calls. Call ratio depends on the number of Providers on staff
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.