We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Provides physical therapy services as assigned by, and under the supervision of, a physical therapist. Keeps treatment skills updated through continuing education, evidence based research, and program development. Perform job responsibilities in accordance with the program’s strategic objectives and goals to carry out organizational strategic objectives.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Each job responsibility is related to the MFB Pillars of Excellence. The responsibility is identified to a pillar by the following letters: Q (Quality), S (Service), P (People), G (Growth), F (Financial).
- Staff will provide patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification or registration and as required by law and regulation.
- Provides patient care. (Q)
- Assists the physical therapist in treatment planning and conducting evaluation procedures.
- Assists the physical therapist in treating patients utilizing modalities, therapeutic exercise, assistive devices, and functional activities.
- Provides verbal and/or written feedback to the physical therapist regarding all significant observations or changes in the patient's condition, reaction, and response to treatment.
- Assists the physical therapist in determining equipment and supply needs and may participate in the acquisition and inventory of these items.
- Functions as primary therapist in treatment of patient following evaluation and direction of physical therapist
- Document’s patient’s status and progress according to established internal/external time standards and adherence to reimbursement guidelines. (Q)
- Communicates with others to integrate physical therapy treatment with all aspects of patient care. (Q, S)
- Participates in conferences/discussions and exchange of written records with other interdisciplinary team members as directed by the physical therapist to integrate physical therapy treatment plan.
- Instructs the patient and the family in physical therapy procedures as part of providing patient and family education including written instructions as necessary.
- Participates in various meetings and in-services as designated. (Q, P)
- Follows all hospital policy and procedures including but not limited to patient confidentiality and infection control. (Q)
- Meets or exceeds program productivity expectations. (F)
- Provides discipline specific coverage (following cross training) within the Mary Free Bed system as requested. (F, S)
- Supports program operations as assigned. (Q, S, P, G, F)
- Functions as patient advocate. (S)
- Demonstrates competence in relevant software and hardware required to meet job responsibilities. (Q)
- Adheres to the Mary Free Bed Standards of Behavior when working with patients, coworkers and members of the community. (S)
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Serves as clinical instructor for physical therapist assistant students. Supervises, teaches, and evaluates skills of students and volunteers. Communicates with participating universities regarding skill levels of students. (S, P, G)
- Functions as a resource person in area of expertise. (S, G)
- Participates in program development and/or research activities as assigned. (Q, G)
- Participates in orientation and training of new staff. (Q, P)
- Assists in maintaining clean and orderly treatment areas. (S)
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Graduate of an accredited Physical Therapist Assistant Program.
- Licensure with the State of Michigan.
- Possesses and maintains BLS certification to meet department/program protocol.
- Physical Demands: The physical ability to lift, position, and transport patients; to frequently sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, twist, crawl, grasp, reach, and occasionally climb; ability to hear, speak, write, and see (correctable vision); ability to frequently lift up to 75 pounds, and occasionally lift in excess of 75 pounds; ability to frequently push, pull, or carry weight anywhere from 1 to 100+ pounds while assisting patients and moving equipment; ability to exert up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, 10-20 pounds of force frequently, and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly.
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.