REQUIRED EDUCATION, LICENSE(S), CERTIFICATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: Minimum High School Diploma/GED.
Licensure: Agency Affiliated Counselor Registration and must complete training for certification as a Peer Counselor within 12 months of hire date.
Experience: Must be a person who has direct experience receiving services for a mental illness.
Other: Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and an acceptable motor vehicle report and reliable, insured transportation.
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL CREDENTIALS/EXPERIENCE:
Experience: Experience as a Peer Support Specialist
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Able to identify client capabilities regarding education, work, and leisure activities.
- Able to identify individual coping strategies and supports.
- Able to elicit client choices.
- Able to use sound judgments in intervention, support services and problem solving.
- Able to manage crisis effectively to ensure safety.
- Able to use sound judgment in intervention, support services, and problem solving.
- Able and willing to work independently and as a team member.
- Able to help clients transition from clinical services to natural supports.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the role of work in recovery.
- Able to advocate effectively with community partners.
- Basic knowledge of psychotropic medications and their possible side effects.
- Able to assist clients with development of recovery values and principles.