The Escort Staff will provide compassionate care and support under the supervision of the Escort Supervisor and Manager while assigned the duty of transporting patients in a safe, comfortable, courteous and efficient manner.
The Escort Staff will provide compassionate care and support under the supervision of the Escort Supervisor and Manager while assigned the duty of transporting patients in a safe, comfortable, courteous and efficient manner by wheelchair, bed or stretcher throughout the Medical Center. Under the supervision of the Supervisor, assist in organizing, implementing and evaluating the activities occurring in the office and Discharge Area.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Transports patient throughout the hospital in timely, safe manner.
- Assists in performance improvement (PI) activities by serving on PI teams as warranted, assisting with PI measures and supporting and implementing changes necessary for improvement.
- Participates in economical utilization of supplies and ensures that equipment is maintained in a clean, safe manner.
- Assists with maintaining a clean safe environment.
- Assist with orientation of new staff.
- Attends in-service programs, required training/education and unit/department/service meeting.
- Provides for safety of all ages of patients during transport.
- Works appropriately with persons of varied ages and sociological background.
- Demonstrates the ability to recognize changes in the patient’s condition and reports it to the appropriate caregiver.
- Performs initial and annual competency per job class.
- Applies safety principles and body mechanics to the performance of specific techniques
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Experience Required
Approved previous experiences in giving patient care, or completion of in-service education classes, high school education or equivalent. Nursing Assistant experience preferred. Must be able to read, write legibly speak and comprehend English.
Physical: Ability to tolerate prolonged periods of standing and walking. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Is able to push stretcher/wheelchair with average adult patient. Is able to do frequent stooping and on occasion crouching, crawling or kneeling. Ability to reach reasonable distances in any direction. Ability to run in emergency situations. Must be able to move fingers in a coordinated manner. Must have ability to feel and perceive temperature, texture, shape and size with fingertips.
Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected within normal range. Able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Environmental: Includes exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, lab chemicals and hazard materials and/or cleaning solutions. Requires wearing common protective or safety equipment.
Psychological: Includes receiving delegation, working with team members, addressing conflict, and communicating with all types of personalities.