Christel House Schools is accepting applications for an Evening Academic Assessor. Christel House Schools is a growing network of high performing charter schools dedicated to serving low-income, urban students in Indianapolis.
FLSA: Part-Time; Exempt
REPORTS TO: Principal
This position provides professional advising of students of the Drop Out Recovery (DORS) program for adults with regard to course attainment and program development and supports student learning, engagement and graduation attainment.
- Evaluate students’ academic history and education, including transcript evaluation.
- Facilitate class for students working on NEDP or APEX online learning systems, tracking student progress to ensure course completion in a timely manner.
- Maintain statistical information and summary information in reports as needed.
- Regularly update student academic records.
- Confirm completion of diploma requirements prior to graduation.
- Collaborate with staff to resolve administrative issues related to students’ academic record.
- Actively refer students in distress to support resources.
- Facilitate the student enrollment process, including orientation.
- Analyze TABE and ACCUPLACER tests to identify levels of student academic performance.
- Collaborate with ELL team on proper placement/scheduling of ELL students.
- Create student schedules to be distributed before classes begin each quarter, following state graduation requirements.
- Follow NEDP protocol for intake, assessing and review phase of NEDP portfolio.
- Monitor open learning lab for NEDP/APEX students.
- Provide timely feedback (24 hours Mon.-Fri.) to NEDP/APEX students.
- Meet one on one bi-weekly, at minimum, with all students on case load.
- Design and develop workshops, small training sessions, and instruct a student success course for credit.
- Develop and implement recruitment and retention strategies.
- Provide career and vocational advising.
- Register and monitor all students in dual credit or career certification courses prior to their graduation from DORS.
- Provide counsel on attendance and other issues to students on case load.
- Utilize intrusive advising to help guide students.
- Utilize a solutions-focused and growth mindset approach.
- Submits required paperwork according to specified timelines.
- Participate in appropriate professional activities.
- Other duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Bilingual – Spanish preferred.
- Understanding of Indiana Academic Graduation requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of local college academic requirements and dual credit offerings.
- Considerable knowledge on career certification pathways and training opportunities.
- Ability to review and analyze transcripts
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively; maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships
- Demonstrated experience in working in an educational or social services environment.
- Demonstrated experience working with at-risk and culturally diverse populations.
- Experience working with students/clients in advising and developing goals.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis
- An agreement with the mission statement and goals of Christel House Schools
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
To apply, please complete the online application. A complete application will include the following:
- Letter of interest stating why the candidate feels his/her qualifications are a good match to those sought by CHS
- Current resume (please include email address)
- At least three (3) professional references (References should include candidates supervisor in his/her current position and most recent prior position)
Applicants should disclose any criminal arrests or convictions in the application process. A successful applicant will be required to submit to a national background check.
Christel House Academy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.