The Parallam/Parallam Products Manager is accountable and responsible for the safe, reliable operation of the Parallam and Parallam Products Department at the Buckhannon, West Virginia, Engineered Wood Products Mill. This manufacturing unit is a part of Weyerhaeuser’s Wood Products business.
This position is the expert for safety, technical operations, equipment and maintenance reliability of the Parallam Press and Parallam Products Department. This person provides leadership, support & resources to shift production supervisors & teams to ensure consistent, safe & reliable operation of the equipment. This person works with the Maintenance Manager, Maintenance Supervisor and Area Leads to provide appropriate maintenance prioritization and planning which will be used by the Maintenance Department to conduct efficient, effective down days.
The P=L/PLP Manager champions best practices to improve unit performance and drives root cause analysis of failures in their area. This position partners with the Unit’s H&S Manager, Technical Manager and Maintenance Manager on capital and major maintenance projects to include design, training, impact support, planning, implementation and related documentation.
- Key Functions:
- Role model all standards/processes and on-the-job behavior by living our core principles of integrity, fairness, & creating a positive inclusive work environment.
- Responsible for the safety of all Associates working in the Parallam and Parallam Products Department.
- Ensure compliance with all safety, environmental and job specific SOPs daily.
- Ensure that housekeeping inspections and recordkeeping are performed at required frequencies, and that follow-up inspections/tasks are completed as assigned.
- Partners with the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Maintenance Planner/Schedulers to ensure complete, effective down days are planned, scheduled and executed to world class standards.
- Partners with the Maintenance Manager to lead and support the development and implementation of mill capital projects.
- Interfaces with operations and maintenance teams to drive continuous improvement of mill operations.
- Develop and maintain functional area budget.
- Drive continuous improvement/Innovation for the function.
- Implement cross-business best manufacturing practices at the unit.
- Ensure proper and timely implementation of facility safety & environmental plans and procedures.
- Conducts root cause failure analysis for qualifying events in their area of responsibility & implements processes and/or standards to prevent reoccurrence.
- Drives near miss reporting & incident investigations for assigned area.
- Partners with the Production Shift Supervisors to ensure appropriate staffing levels are maintained on production teams.
- Leads, participates & supports cross training activities among hourly positions to create talent depth for positions.
- Ensures accountability of team members for performance improvement.
- Ensures required training for all associates is conducted as required.
- Participate as an active member of the Unit’s leadership team to actively support unit and business goals and objectives and establish and model organizational behavior.
- Own and/or contribute to other mill functions, such as safety & continuous improvement initiatives as required.
- High School diploma or GED
- Five (5) years experience in a key leadership role in an industrial / manufacturing environment.
- Must be able to lead and build positive working relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Strong technical, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to lead and promote teamwork while ensuring accountability for job tasks.
- Excellent work ethic with initiative to get things done with minimal supervision.
- Excellent integrity with passion to perform and make the right decision.
- Willingness to support a 24/7 operating environment, which will include weekend and holiday support as conditions require.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills with ability to analyze difficult situations.
- Ability to achieve and sustain business and unit goals.
- Demonstrated computer skills and proficiency in MS Office, MS Excel, and other windows-based programs.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of working in an industrial environment, such as climbing stairs and working in extreme heat and cold.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or Wood Technologies
- Manufacturing experience
- SAP or other CMMS system experience
- Knowledge of LEAN manufacturing principles
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
About Wood Products
We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support.
For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.