We are The Boston Beer Company. We brew the best beer. We hire the best people.
We are always eager to find competitive, motivated, hardworking people who love beer and want to join our team. We work hard and we play hard. Think you have what it takes?
We are currently hiring a Packaging Manager for our Samuel Adams Pennsylvania Brewery!
What You'll Do:
The Packaging Manager is responsible for establishing all management practices for all activities of the Packaging Department ensuring a safe work environment is maintained and product quality standard operating procedures are implemented and sustained. This individual supervises a large direct team of hourly and salaried personnel to ensure high speed packaging best practices for quick changeover methods (SMED) industry best practices for Continuous Improvement, safety, quality, efficiencies, and cost. This leader will work cross-functionally with other leaders to establish a vision and change plan for SAPB to achieve world-class levels of production operations. They will develop and implement strategy which links the Packaging operations’ people, service and cost initiatives to the Boston Beer company’s strategic plan. This leader is accountable to identify and execute process improvements related to safety, customer service levels, demurrage and detention charges, staffing, fill rates, inventory levels, capacity planning and utilization, and packaging accuracy. This manager will report directly to the Brewery Superintendent at the Samuel Adams Pennsylvania Brewery.
What We're Looking For:
- Must be able to work in and promote a team oriented and “Safety First” environment. Safely, efficiently, and effectively work to attain department and brewery goals and objectives. Help ensure “No bad beer leaves the brewery”
- Understands, follows, and enforces all established safety, health, quality GMP and Company policies, procedures, and recognized practices. Ensures GMP programs exceed expectations
- Participates in brewery staff, shift and safety meetings, and conducts regular departmental meetings and training based on business needs
- Create an environment of team engagement and provide supervision and mentorship to the packaging team members.
- Develop and execute Packaging’s key KPI’s while managing all issues pertinent to Production operations.
- Provides guidance and oversight for all Packaging associates; motivates, coaches, and develops a diverse, high performing and engaged team to meet established goals and build capability.
- Provides leadership by mentoring associates in the use of Lean tools, ensuring transfer of knowledge, and creating a culture of continuous improvement.
- Serves as an example and provides positive support of Boston Beer Culture and Values.
- Ensure policies and procedures are administered in a fair and consistent manner.
- Conducts annual performance reviews, creates, and supports development plans for direct reports. Coach and Develop Leads and Supervisors to be Leaders in the organization
- Creates and fosters a team environment that demonstrates genuine concern for personal and professional development of all employees.
- Install a culture of continuous improvement by using and coaching problem-solving skills, 5S, standard work, visual controls, leader standard work, kaizens, kanbans, and other lean tools
- Develops new methods and procedures to optimize packaging operations efficiency and reduce operating costs.
- Work with supporting functions to resolve production related issues
- Developing KPIs (both managerial and operational) and Visual Controls that drive improvement in operations and allow associates to track performance to targets real time and be able to respond to abnormal conditions, identify gaps and roadblocks to successful execution of brewery KPI’s and develop plans to close gaps.
- Responsible for managing the department annual budget.
- Improve production paperwork processes to streamline production information and reduce packaging errors.
- Identify cost improvement opportunities and implement them through material suppliers, manufacturing, and packaging partners.
- Contribute to the development of strategic and tactical plans to link SAPB packaging to Boston Beer’s company strategy
- Ten or more years’ experience in manufacturing, packaging environment with a history of continued development both academically and professionally.
- Bachelor of Science or equivalent combination of experience.
- Extensive practical experience with high-speed bottling/packaging operations in food/beverage industries preferred.
- An in-depth understanding and track record of having delivered operational processes that drive safety, quality, cost, and delivery improvements.
- Proven success in managing a team, safety records and operational issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion, with proven experience in delivery against key KPI’s.
- Collaborates well with others proactively contributes to group objectives; volunteers to help others.
- Lean manufacturing experience as it relates to Packaging/Production
- Demonstrated project/idea development skills
- Solid financial aptitude and experience managing a budget.
- Demonstrated experience improving employee engagement and developing high performance team to solve problems that deliver results
- High effective multi-tasker; resourceful with a “get-it-done, can-do” attitude.
- Able to impact and effect positive change with a flexible, open-minded positive approach
- Must practice safe work methods and comply with wearing and using the proper PPE 100% of the time on the floor and always work in a safe manner.
- Ability to lift, up to 60 lbs., repetitively throughout the shift.
- May require 12-hour days, weekends, and holidays.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to endure daily, walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, and crouching.
- Tolerate summer/winter temperature conditions and Hot and Cold in Production Environment
- Business travel as needed.
Desired: MBA preferred
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We not only have to hire the best, but we have to reward, develop, and retain them too. We also have a variety of benefits including a competitive compensation package, extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discounted stock purchase plan, and a 401K program with a generous company match. Not to mention, there’s the free beer too!
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact [email protected] for assistance.
Primary Location: US-PA-Breinigsville
Work Locations: SAPB 7880 Penn Dr. Breinigsville 18031
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Standard
Job Posting: Feb 5, 2021, 7:02:14 AM