POSITION SUMMARY: Within a business unit, the Recycling Center Operations Manager is responsible for managing the recycling and other post-collections activities in a Recycling Center. The position manages a team of Operations Supervisors, Dispatchers, Operations Clerks, Drivers, Sorters, Helpers and other equipment operators who are responsible for efficient operation of the Recycling Center. The Operations Manager works with his or her General Manager and other managers in the business unit to execute a local strategy for the marketing of commodities locally or nationally that complements the Area’s overall strategic operating and implements tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The Operations Manager oversees all matters related to recycling operations and oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs and leads all operations to ensure compliance with standards. The position is also responsible for monitoring and maintaining recycling contracts and permit compliance. The Operations Manager oversees change management initiatives to introduce and sustain new processes that contribute to the growth and durability of the operations of the business unit.
- Provide leadership for the recycling and other post-collections operations of a Materials Recycling Facility by providing management oversight to all operations staff.
- Manage staff, including hiring, training, coaching, performance management; develop supervisory goals and objectives; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
- Implement and execute plans to complement the business unit’s strategic and operating plan; champion the execution of tactical initiatives within the Business Unit to maximize the customer experience, growth and durability, while optimizing profitability.
- Drive functional plans within the operations group to execute against the business plan to achieve or exceed the Business Unit’s budget and strategic plan to grow the business, achieve customer experience goals, and meet or exceed service business objectives.
- Lead all matters related to recycling and post-collections operations to ensure overall operations meet safety, compliance and P & L objectives.
- Monitor and maintain recycling contract and permit compliance with inbound material and production of commodities; ensure the implementation of state-of-the art technology to reduce residue from inbound recycling streams.
- Coordinate the production of commodities with inbound volume and material type; adjust resources to market and seasonal conditions.
- Work with the General Manager to develop sales strategies to market commodities locally or nationally; monitor local regulations and market conditions to develop new recycling opportunities.
- Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program.
- Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting and ethics.
- Approve expenses and manage budget for the operations department including approval of purchase orders and vendor pricing.
- Develop a best-in-class team and workplace culture and effectively manage performance and talent development; drive best-practice sharing.
- Build and maintain strong and effective relations with relevant government, community and environmental groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple sites.
- Experience in labor relations.
- Demonstrated business acumen, strategic thinking and an ability to execute against formulated strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change initiatives.Able to direct large staff.
- Is process-oriented and results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize near-term results that contribute to long-term sustainable success.
- Is collaborative; builds and works with teams.
- Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
- Demonstrates and promotes ethical behavior.
- Has strong leadership skills and proven judgment of talent, with an emphasis on hiring and developing high performance teams.
- Previous employment by a Fortune 500 company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Business.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory or management experience or participation in Republic Services’ management trainee program.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.