Position Title: Operational Risk Officer
Division: Risk Management
Reports Directly To: Enterprise Risk Manager
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, supporting and enhancing the Bank’s operational risk program. The Officer partners with business lines to mitigate the impact of activities that may expose the Bank to loss, regulatory or reputation risks, or to risk levels that exceed desired risk appetite through its business activities.
This position is expected to perform the specific duties, tasks, and responsibilities as outlined below:
- Develop strong partnerships with business units and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with business units in performing operational risk reviews and workshops.
- Perform operational risk identification and assessment in business units by clearly articulating a business unit’s functions, controls, business priorities, impact on financial reporting, gaps/issues associated with processes/technologies and assist with developing risk mitigation.
- Assist in creating and maintaining the operational risk assessment process, developing and maintaining ERM Risk Registers and Bank Risk Assessments and implementing strategies to mitigate operational or emerging operational risk.
- Contribute in the development of key risk and control indicators.
- Assist with developing operational risk policies and standards for risk management.
- Assist in completion of Risk and Control Self Assessments.
- Participate in the introduction of new or significantly modified processes, automation, products, services, and demonstrate ability to provide effective challenge and influence.
- Track and monitor operating risk gaps, issues, exceptions and mitigation action plans for business units.
- Perform periodic monitoring of risks and controls.
- Report operational risk issues and action plans for business units to assigned committees and/or management.
- Participate in operational risk related projects, initiatives, working groups or other tasks.
- Facilitate and/or support training for business lines on operational risk, current industry practices, and risk and control standards.
- Assist with the risk strategic plan objectives and ERM framework elements to prevent, eliminate and mitigate operational risk.
- Provide support to the Operational Risk Manager and the Enterprise Risk Management Department with ERM initiatives, project plans, reports, and administrative activities.
- Assist with the GRC Solution implementation and ongoing development of the ERM module.
- Participate in supporting exams and audits.
- Keep abreast of latest operational risk management techniques and industry best practices.
- Ensure that the Bank’s policies and procedures, code of conduct, and regulatory guidelines are strictly complied with
- Provide assistance to other employees by liaising with them through healthy and positive interactions
- Be involved in performing marketing endeavors/efforts
- Continuously update skills by participating in professional training
- Seek opportunities to improve skills through cross-training offered by the Bank
- All other tasks, responsibilities or duties, as directed by management
- Must have strong communication skills characterized by excellent writing and speaking skills
- Proficient with general office machines and programs to include Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software that might be utilized in the department
- Ability to use the computer efficiently and the capacity to learn new software programs as they are rolled out by the Bank
- Must have good knowledge of business English, including spelling and punctuation
- Must possess basic English language skills in order to write and speak clearly, and effectively with coworkers and customers
- Must be well-organized, accurate, and attentive to detail
- Must be cooperative and willing to assist coworkers and customers on a regular basis
- Must have effective listening skills demonstrated by the ability to listen to others talk (without interruption), understand them, and then propose solutions or make contributions based on the points made by others
- Must possess excellent multi-tasking skills and be able to function well under pressure
- Must be able to remain composed under pressure and respond to customer and coworker concerns regularly
- Must have a keen eye for detail and follow instructions to the letter
- Must be patient and willing to help others in solving problems while maintaining a positive attitude at all times
- Must be able to remain seated or work standing in a confined area on a computer for a minimum of four (4) hours each work day
- Must be able to constantly use hands and fingers to enter data through or on a computer or answer a phone throughout most of an eight (8) hour shift
- Must be able to walk frequently throughout the day.
- Must be able to hear and communicate with coworkers and customers throughout the day
- May need to lift up to 25 pounds one to two times a day to perform job
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Position may require regular before/after normal business hours, or regular out-of-town travel.
- Must be able to function in a professional, business office environment and act and dress appropriately for same, consistent with the Bank’s grooming and dress codes
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills with customers and coworkers
- Must be willing to function as a team member
- Must be willing to demonstrate commitment to CenterState Bank’s mission and goals
- BS/BA degree or related job experience with a minimum of 5 years banking/financial institution experience.
- Experience working on/managing projects across multiple functional areas and dealing with multiple business partners.
- Ability to grasp complex processes quickly and identify risks and compensating controls.
- Excellent problem solving abilities and results oriented.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence others.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical/research skills coupled with ability to effectively summarize findings.
- Ability to adapt to change and communicate changing requirement.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
CenterState complies with federal and state banking laws, such as the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), USA PATRIOT Act, and other related anti-money laundering/anti-terrorist financing initiatives. The Bank has established a Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering/Office of Foreign Assets Control (BSA/AML/OFAC) Compliance Program and employees are expected to adhere to federal and state banking laws, as well as the Bank’s procedures and/or internal controls. The Bank will terminate the employment of employees who fail to comply with banking laws and/or the Bank’s procedures/controls.
CenterState Bank is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on any unlawful basis, including race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender identity, disability, genetic testing, service in the military, citizenship status or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. CenterState also prohibits unlawful harassment of applicants/employees based on these protected categories.
CenterState complies with The Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and state and local disability laws and will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities, unless doing so will cause an undue hardship. The Bank encourages employees/applicants who believe they need reasonable accommodations to contact the Human Resources Department at 863-595-1300.
I have received and reviewed a copy of the attached Job Description. I understand that I am expected to perform the duties of this position, and, in the event that I am unclear about the position’s requirements, I will contact my supervisor or Human Resources as soon as possible for clarification.
Printed Name Date