The Virginia Department of State Police is seeking qualified applicants for an Office Services Specialist position in the Safety Division, located in Richmond, Virginia. This is a Non-Exempt position; therefore, this position is subject to provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Performs secretarial duties.
- Compiles, updates, and maintains files.
- Processes correspondence and applications.
- Provides information and refers inquiries.
- Maintains pending file for stations and assists Office Services Assistant with station changes and station application requests.
- Considerable knowledge of general office practices and procedures; of filing systems; of office equipment; of standard English grammar, punctuation, spelling and usage; and of basic mathematics.
- Proven skill in organization and prioritizing workload; the use of personal computers, keyboarding, automated office equipment; and using Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a wide variety of secretarial assignments; to review various documents and reports for accuracy; to create documents such as memorandums,correspondence, reports and spreadsheets; to compile, update and maintain files; to understand and interpret policies and procedures; to follow oral and written instructions, and transcribes dictation from dictating equipment; to communicate effectively in English orally and in writing with staff, agency officials, and the public as required; and to work independently and as a member of a team.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Previous secretarial experience.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience indicating possession of the preceding knowledge, skills and abilities may substitute for this education and experience.
- Requires either United States citizenship or have been a lawful resident of the United States for the past ten (10) consecutive years to apply for Virginia Criminal Information Network certification.
A THOROUGH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE COMPLETED ON EACH APPLICANT
Elements of the selection process for this position will also include the screening of applications; interviewing of qualified candidates; and salary negotiations. The pre-employment process can take approximately 1-3 months to complete. The anticipated duration of this process is determined by the successful completion of the above items.
Applicants must live in states east of the Mississippi River. Military applicants must live in or home of record must be in one of the states east of the Mississippi River.
Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms with their state application.
Applications, cover letters and/or resumes will only be accepted on-line through the Recruitment Management System at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com and must be received by 11:59 pm on February 12, 2021. Please limit resumes, cover letters, reference letters and all other attachments to only two (2) pages. Any attachments received in excess of two (2) pages will not be considered. For questions, please contact the Employment Unit of the Human Resources Division at [email protected] .
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UPON REQUEST
AMERICORPS, PEACE CORPS, AND OTHER NATIONAL SERVICE ALUMNI ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY