General Summary Statement
Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs duties that support the operation of the nursing unit. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Patient Care Responsibilities
1. Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
2. Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
3. Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
4. Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
5. Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
6. Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. (Includes baths, mouth care, shaves males, combs hair, and washes patient’s hair as requested.)
7. Changes bed linens for occupied and unoccupied beds.
8. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
9. Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
10. Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
11. Distributes nourishment’s as scheduled.
12. Provides fresh water at bedside as appropriate.
13. Measures and records intake and output.
14. Positions patients correctly, align and support torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
15. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
16. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient during ambulation and bed – chair transfers.
17. Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer service.
18. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
19. Obtains vital signs and weights, and records.
20. Applies chest leads for patients on remote telemetry monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing loose or missing electrodes.
21. Collects and labels urine, stool, and sputum specimens as directed.
22. Inventories patient belongings at admission, transfer and discharge.
23. Provides 1:1 patient supervision in “Sitter” role for patient safety and suicide precautions.
24. Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
25. Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
26. Performs procedures within the scope of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
1. Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
2. Seeks help from RN when needed.
3. Informs the RN when experiencing difficulty completing an assignment.
4. Receives report and clarifies information as needed.
5. Informs RN when leaving the unit for any reason.
6. Accepts assignments and performs as a team member.
7. Introduces self to patient and explains procedures to patient and family.
8. Reinforces information to patients and family such as safety precautions for falls prevention, visiting hours, etc.
1. Documents patient care in an accurate, professional and timely manner using Soarian and paper documentation forms according to policy and procedure.
1. Develops own knowledge via practice, observation, and attending continuing education programs.
2. Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality patient care.
3. Promotes innovation and creativity in the practice environment.
4. Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new employees.
5. Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and shows evidence of change.
6. Demonstrates verbal and writing skills that are appropriate for healthcare communication.
7. Adheres to the Department of Nursing Dress Code.
Department of Nursing and Organization Support
1. Attends assigned committee meetings and contributes to the committees.
2. Communicates support of organizational values and strategies.
3. Supports the following organizational programs: Magnet®, Hospital of Distinction, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, and Nursing Councils. Performs job duties in accordance with these standards.
4. Maintains good attendance/lateness standards in accordance with Hospital policy.
1. Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance.
2. Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, quality control measures, emergency equipment checks, nutrition area cleanliness, etc.
3. Performs assigned duties such as unit errands, stocking supplies, returning equipment to Central Supply, answering unit phone, etc.
4. Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as maintaining a quiet environment, hourly patient rounds, customer service, etc.
5. Attends staff meetings on a regular basis.
6. Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and organized.
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent. Training and/or experience at an acute care or skilled nursing facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience.
Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email, and internet. Ability to successfully complete on the job training for CCH computer programs.
Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
CPR certification required.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Certification preferred
Telemetry & Critical Care Specialty Specific Requirements
Perform 12 lead EKG
Work Environment and Hazards
Risk exposure to communicable diseases and potentially hazardous materials and body fluids. May become involved in crisis situations.
Work Contact Group
The Chester County Hospital personnel, physicians, patients, and their families.