Full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week. Schedule will consist of an average of (3) 12-13 hour shifts per week to include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
This position is in the Department of Anesthesiology delivering patient care in the Cardiothoracic ICUs. Openings for this position include the Medical School Campus and in other BJC hospitals ICUs within the St. Louis area.
The (ACNP) or physician assistant (PA), will practice as an independent provider in collaboration with a fellowship trained intensivist within a multidisciplinary ICU team. The environment is challenging and rewarding and allows the APP the opportunity to practice to the fullest extent of their scope of practice.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include obtaining medical histories, performing physical examinations, participating in multidisciplinary rounds, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, designing and implementing plans of care, and performing invasive procedures. Typical provider: patient ratio 1:6. In this academic environment, talents and skills are developed through intellectually stimulating work experiences, ample educational offerings, procedural simulation, and other learning venues.
Acute care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Physician Assistant (PA)
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner:
- APN licensure or ability to successfully obtain licensure within 3 months of date of hire.
- Certain/additional certifications may be necessary based on area of specialty.
- Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Current certification as a Physician’s Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- Current ACLS provider status.
- 2 years critical care experience as a PA or completion of a residency/fellowship in critical care if limited critical care experience.
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner:
- 2 years ICU experience as an ACNP
- New Graduate ACNP with 2+ years of Emergency, Cardiology or ICU experience highly preferred
- Active Missouri RN license or ability to obtain
- Current ACLS provider status
- 2 years of current or very recent experience working in an ICU or emergency care setting
Base pay commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Position is for an advanced practice provider (APP) employed with the Department of Anesthesiology at Washington University School of Medicine, ranked among the top medical schools in the country. The APP will work at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, a nationally recognized Magnet center, ranked among the nation’s best hospitals for the past 24 years by U.S. News & World Report. Care will be provided to post-operative cardiothoracic and vascular surgery patients in each of the two cardiothoracic intensive care units (CTICU), located in the Heart and Vascular Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
With a total of 27 CTICU beds, a skilled multidisciplinary team consisting of dedicated cardiothoracic anesthesiologists, fellowship trained intensivists, critical care fellows, residents, nurse practitioners, ICU nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, social workers and dieticians, we are able to provide exceptional care to patients. This team of specially trained personnel are able to work cohesively at one of the largest mechanical device programs, lung transplant and aortic programs in the country.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.