Contingent Upon Award
Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) is one of four power marketing administrations in the Department of Energy (DOE).
WAPA’s mission includes:
- Marketing and delivering reliable, cost-based hydroelectric power, and related services from multi-use water projects within a 15-state region of the central and western United States.
- Operating and maintaining a high-voltage transmission system that carries electricity generated at power plants operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the International Boundary and Water Commission.
- Provide Network Administration services and responsibility for LAN WAN, network segments, and Internet and intranet networking systems.
- Install, configure, and support an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system.
- Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and may perform necessary maintenance to support network availability.
- May monitor and test Web site performance to ensure Web sites operate correctly and without interruption.
- May assist in network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
- May supervise computer user support specialists and computer network support specialists.
- May administer network security measures.
- Possesses and applies expertise on multiple complex work assignments. Assignments may be broad in nature, requiring originality and innovation in determining how to accomplish tasks. Operates with appreciable latitude in developing methodology and presenting solutions to problems. Contributes to deliverables and performance metrics where applicable.
- Experience, education, or training in installing, configuring, and maintaining Cisco network and/or security equipment.
- Experience in documenting network designs using Visio and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience in analyzing problems, gathering information, and recognizing solutions.
- Wide range of networking concepts, principles, and practices in this occupation.
- Experience with BGP, OSPF and EIGRP routing protocols.
- Experience with MPLS networks.
- Ability to interpret and analyze packet captures to include an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model, Layers 1 and 2 cable plant systems and data center architecture.
- Familiarity with using cable analyzer, SolarWinds Orion, Live Action and Cisco Prime Infrastructure, or related equivalent tools.
- Experience with Network firewalls, Network Security appliance, VPNs and security access control methodologies.
- Knowledge of wireless networking technology.
- Experience with network segmentation, DNS, DHCP and IPAM.
- Certifications can include- CISSP; CCSP; CISM; CISA; ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Auditor/Lead Auditor; CRISC; QSA/ISA
Public Trust Clearance/High
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Safe use of TAPE equipment, as well as safe practices while on TAPE property is essential.
TAPE will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
TAPE is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer