TITLE: Music Teacher
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Bachelor’s Degree
2. Meets allWyomingstate teacher certification requirements
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or Designated Supervisor
JOB GOAL: To develop in each pupil an appreciation of the art of music as
part of general culture; to teach techniques of vocal or
instrumental music expression; to discover and develop talents
of pupils in the field of music; and to develop knowledge and
skills in listening to and reading music.
1. Teaches skills in music appreciation, harmony, explorations in music, and in
instrumental music and/or choral music; uses the course of study adopted by
the Board of Trustees and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law
and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Plans a balanced music program and organizes daily class time so that
preparation, rehearsal, and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted
4. Provides individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the
needs of each pupil.
5. Uses repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and
contemporary, that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of pupils.
6. Controls the storage and use of school-owned property; makes minor
adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required.
7. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior to provide an orderly,
productive environment during practice, group rehearsals, and musical
8. Evaluates each pupil’s musical growth and performance, assessing each
individual’s contribution to the performance of the group.
9. Plans, rehearses, and directs pupils in musical programs for school and
10. Selects and requisitions books, musical instruments, and instructional aids;
maintains required inventory records.
11. Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
12. Identifies pupils needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in
assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
13. Cooperates with the school administration in providing musical programs for
school productions, graduation ceremonies, and civic functions.
14. Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
15. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
16. Participates in faculty committees and sponsorship of pupil activities.
17. Maintains professional competence through in-service education provided by
the district, and in self-selected professional growth activities related to music.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Approximately 185 days; salary and fringe benefits to be
set by the Board of Trustees.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be in accordance with provisions of the
Board’s Policy on Evaluation of Certified Personnel.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. Sheridan County School District No. 2 actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.