Roanoke Cement Company
Troutville VA 24175
Titan America, LLC, is a leading environmentally and socially progressive heavy building materials company located in the eastern United States. Titan America is part of the TITAN Group, an independent, multi-regional producer of cement and other related building materials. Our products include cement, aggregate, ready-mixed concrete and fly ash beneficiation. TITAN Group has a record of continuous growth since its establishment in 1902. It has expanded its production and distribution operations into 13 countries, employing more than 5,500 people. Our products protect human life and personal property, improve the quality of life, generate economic prosperity and connect society.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Mining Engineer to join our Roanoke Cement team. This exempt position will report to the Quarry Manager and will be responsible for providing technical support and engineering assistance to the quarry.
- Assist the quarry superintendent with daily operations in the quarry; act as quarry supervisor in the absence of the quarry superintendent and oversee crew activities and ensure everyone is working safely. When needed, perform pre-shift work place exams and safety task assignment for quarry crew.
- Oversee and administer contractors in the quarry including drilling & blasting and stripping contractors. Ensure contractors work safely and stay on task and review all completed work and invoices.
- Develop mine plans to deliver raw materials for the cement plant that meet set quality standards. Work with the quarry superintendent to ensure the mine plans are followed to avoid any disruptions to the cement plant and adjust accordingly as needed.
- Perform mine surveying, including blast hole sampling and hole location survey along with aerial surveys utilizing UAVs. Must be able to obtain FAA Part 107 Certification as a Remote Pilot.
- Track and report daily production and heavy mobile equipment fleet utilization and reliability. Track major repairs to mobile equipment and work with mobile maintenance to schedule major repairs and preventive maintenance for the fleet.
- Support Quarry Manager in creating capital plans and writing capital spend requests and manage approved projects.
- Support Quarry Manager in monitoring and controlling costs, creating monthly reports, and contribute to creating annual budgets.
- Ensure quarry operations comply with all environmental permits and reporting requirements.
- Demonstrate and foster a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieve goals.
- B.Sc. degree in Mining or Civil Engineering is required.
- 2-4 years’ experience as an engineer in the mining industry.
- Currently hold a Virginia DMME Surface Foreman Certification or be qualified to apply for certification within 6 months of hire.
- Currently hold FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certification or be able to obtain certification upon hire.
- Competent in computer aided design packages such as Autocad or mine planning software programs such as Maptek Vulcan.
- Familiar with MSHA regulations to ensure mining operations are safe and compliant with applicable laws.
- Knowledge of cement manufacturing a plus.
- Knowledge of mining mobile equipment and maintenance tracking.
- Proficient analytical, problem solving and computer skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively in a team environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to foster a sense of collaboration and work effectively to achieve goals.
Success begins with hiring the right people to partner with us as we grow and develop our businesses. People are central to everything we do. It is through their efforts and talents that Titan has been successful for over 100 years.
Titan America is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) / Affirmative Action employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.