Manages the activities of a team of credit analysts responsible for assessing C&I (Middle Market and National Accounts) and CRE client credit risk through in-depth analyses of financial statements, historical and projected operating performance, business plans, capital structures and other supplemental information from a wide variety of sources. Assesses and makes decisions within authority as applicable. Drives effective credit relationship management on new loans, renewals and modifications to ensure that Synovus’ Wholesale Banking policies and procedures are met. Manages and provides assistance with underwriting, financial statement analysis, periodic servicing, industry analysis, covenant compliance analysis and monitoring, financial statement and exception monitoring, and other ongoing portfolio management activities. Develops and executes key processes, related work products and best practices implementation critical for successful execution of credit underwriting and servicing activity with Wholesale.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the activities included in the preparation of detailed, in-depth analyses of client financial status based on information provided by the borrower, publicly available information, evaluation of the borrower’s credit needs, and the ability to pay across a range of products against established credit standards. Ensures CRA team complies with internal policies and procedures and regulatory requirements
- Manages CRA participation in the risk management process in conjunction with Wholesale Credit Risk Managers (CRM). Ensures thorough and accurate servicing reviews and covenant compliance reviews are conducted in accordance with established timeframes. Monitors timely receipt of current and adequate financial statements, ensuring statements are forwarded for spreading, and statements are uploaded to applicable internal system
- Maintains an environment where team members are empowered and highly engaged in delivering credit solutions to clients and prospects, achieving strong collaboration alongside bankers in Wholesale Banking lines-of-business. Ensures teams are adequately trained and educated on industry and deal specific risk identification and risk migration.
- Directs workflow improvement initiatives, optimizes resources, and builds out an environment that supports the achievement of Wholesale Banking’s goals and budget. Works closely Senior Director in the design and implementation of policies, procedures, strategies and process changes.
- Creates a strong control and early warning environment with timely portfolio and financial reviews, ratings assessments, collateral monitoring, and tickler reporting system to ensure regulatory compliance and to maintain portfolio quality.
- Includes utilization of C&I business sector supply and demand perspective along with cycle position considerations by industry sector to proactively manage exposures. Monitors industry trends and changes to maintain a forward-looking view of the industry to identify new risks and opportunities.
- Serves as a point of contact and partners with Wholesale Banking leadership to achieve satisfactory or better ratings from Credit Review and external regulators. Meets targets for annual reviews, risk ratings, and covenant compliance monitoring
- Partners with Senior Director, Wholesale Banking line-of-business leaders, credit officers and workout colleagues regarding deteriorating credits. Creates and maintains strong working relationships with key stakeholders including Credit Officers, bankers, Loan Operations, and Human Resources.
- Oversees the recruitment, training, coaching, assessing and development of CRA team within Middle Market, CRE, and/or National Accounts CRO. Ensures associates are adequately trained and educated on industry and deal specific risk identification and mitigation. Continuous focus on building the best team and managing bench strength to replace talent as needed.
- Develops and executes key processes, related work products and best practices implementation critical for successful execution of credit underwriting and servicing activity with Wholesale. Responsible for continuous improvement in the process and procedures of Wholesale Credit Risk Management. Works collaboratively with the Senior Director, Credit Risk Management leadership and individual Credit Risk Managers to manage the assignment and activity workflow of Credit Risk Analyst staff for efficient and effective support of Relationship Managers. Leverages leadership and credit experience, serving as a primary developer of skills and knowledge of Credit Risk Analysts to proactively position these associates for planned career pathing and advancement as Credit Risk Managers and other roles within the Wholesale Bank.
- Manages continuous improvement in the process and procedures of Wholesale Credit Risk Management. Works collaboratively with the Senior Director, Credit Risk Management leadership and individual Credit Risk Managers to manage the assignment and activity workflow of Credit Risk Analyst staff for efficient and effective support of Relationship Managers.
- Leverages leadership and credit experience, serving as a primary developer of skills and knowledge of Credit Risk Analysts to proactively position these associates for planned career pathing and advancement as Credit Risk Managers and other roles within the Wholesale Bank.
- Provides leadership, direction and growth opportunities to members of the department, performing those responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws. Interviews, hires plans, assigns and directs work. Appraises team member performance and works closely with senior management and Human Resources to resolve more complex team member-related issues
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Risk, Business Administration or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Seven years of portfolio management experience including credit analysis, structuring, underwriting and approving loans across a range of C&I (Middle Market or National Accounts), with experience training or mentoring junior analysts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of general credit and risk principles, mitigating factors, and banking policies and procedures
- Skill providing a balanced approach to enable focus on both business unit goals and risk management
- Skill developing and executing strategic solutions and systems in support of Credit Risk and business unit goals and objectives
- Able to multi-task and function under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication and negotiation skills
- Flexible change agent able to lead both process and organizational changes
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience in a team management/leadership strongly preferred