We are looking for an experienced Medical Lab Scientist flexible to work in an on call position. On call positions are designed to cover for vacations, sick call, leaves of absence, and other staffing shortages.
Will perform laboratory tests as ordered, assuring accuracy through instrument maintenance, quality control practices, and proper technique, while utilizing universal precautions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs laboratory tests accurately, reporting within specified turn around times.
- Verifies sample identification.
- Records test results accurately into the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
- Notifies, with appropriate documentation, Provider or staff within established, acceptable times for “panic” values.
- Enters patient demographics and test requests accurately into LIS or analyzers.
- Faxes results accurately and appropriately as may be required.
- Performs and documents quality control as required per established laboratory protocol.
- Responds appropriately to “out of control” situation, documenting as required.
- Cleans and maintains laboratory instruments as specified, documenting those tasks, as well as temperature and function checks.
- Observes universal precautions in all phases of laboratory testing.
- Cleans and disinfects work area and properly disposes of bio-hazardous material as needed and at least on a daily basis.
- Troubleshoots instrument and procedure problems with appropriate documentation, consulting instrument manufacturer or Lab Manager, if necessary.
- Performs quarterly proficiency testing and biannual competency testing accurately with appropriate documentation. Follows up with Lab Manager or Lab Director with any unacceptable result investigation or corrective action.
- Performs biannual instrument calibration verifications or linearities with required documentation as directed by Lab Manager. Follows up with Lab Manager with any unacceptable results.
- Performs required monthly and biannual centrifuge maintenance, documenting, accordingly.
- Maintains documentation of reagent received, opened, on line, and expiration dates.
- Maintains quality control daily parameters, and monthly parameters, notifying management of shifts or trends.
- Accurately enters clinical staff Physician offices / Urgent Care orders and results.
- Submits, at the specified times, the monthly QC data for various procedures to the appropriate outside QC facility.
- Documents refrigerator, freezer and incubator temperatures each work day.
- Prints out appropriate unfinished / unavailable work lists at least midday and just prior to own shift end, reconciling any discrepancies.
- Conforms to established guidelines for result, re-run verification and documentation.
- Notifies management in a timely manner of supply shortages or of expiring reagents
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Bachelor of Science degree in a Medical Technology or Medical Lab Scientist program from an accredited program required.
- Certification as a Medical Technologist/Medical Lab Scientist, preferably (ASCP).
- At least one year of MT/MLS generalist experience in a clinical laboratory setting preferred.
- Personnel are tested for visual color discrimination. Documentation of passing color discrimination testing required.
- Must have reliable and predictable attendance.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work required in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive description of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of those assigned to this job.
We offer a competitive Total Rewards Program which includes insurance programs covering medical, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, generous time off, holidays, education reimbursement, and a 401(k) plan.
Vancouver Clinic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Vancouver Clinic does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.