Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, – and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This position is responsible for providing expert medical analysis of claims files (or underwriting applications) across Unum US product lines. The incumbent provides high quality, timely, and efficient medical consultative services to the Benefits Center. The Medical Consultant adheres to current regulatory, claim process, and internal workflow standards as set forth in the Benefits Center Claims Manual, underwriting manual, and associated documentation. The incumbent adheres to accepted norms of medical practices and Code of Conduct guidelines. Physicians and psychologists conduct their reviews and analyses within appropriate ethical standards and maintain their professional licenses and Board certifications. This role is expected to provide excellent customer service and to interact on a regular basis with business partners, health care providers, and other specialized resources.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide timely, clear medical direction and opinions to team partners, with reasoned forensic analysis to support the medical opinions.
- Partner/consult with fellow medical consultants when appropriate to ensure the completion of a whole person analysis.
- Apply medical knowledge to determine functional capacity through assessment of medical and other data related to impairment, regarding accuracy of diagnoses, treatment plans, duration guidelines, and prognosis.
- Provide relevant medical education and knowledge to others in terms appropriate and understandable to the intended audience.
- Perform telephone contacts with the insured’s healthcare providers to gather medical information and to facilitate a better understanding of the claimant's functional abilities.
- Make timely and appropriate referrals for second opinion reviews when appropriate or required according to current guidelines and best practices.
- Demonstrate ability to manage and complete high volumes of assigned work, maintain consistently good turnaround times, and operate with a sense of urgency.
- Receive feedback and follow through with appropriate behaviors/actions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Professional Degree (MD, DO, PhD, PsyD)
- Active, unrestricted US medical license
- Board certification required for physicians in their area of specialty.
- Minimum of five years of clinical experience in medical specialty.
- Strong team and collaborative skills. Ability to work in a fast paced, team based, corporate environment.
- Ability to mentor others and to give and receive constructive, behaviorally based feedback with peers and partners.
- Location – Chattanooga, TN | Portland, ME and Remote options are available
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.