Medical Assistant/Front Desk- Stony Brook Children’s Services, UFPC
Location: Smithtown, NY
Hours/Days: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-8:00pm Variable, 2 Saturday’s a month required.
SB Clinical Practice Management Plan, Inc. (SBCPMP) offers a variety of employment opportunities in a variety of clinical and business areas for the Physician Faculty Practices of Stony Brook Medicine. The Physician Faculty Practices span across eighteen different practice specialties and more than forty five locations across Suffolk County. SBCPMP provides billing and clinical support personnel for the Physician Faculty Practices. Learn more about the extraordinary career opportunities available and start your new career at SB Clinical Practice Management Plan, Inc.
SUMMARY: The medical assistant/front desk receptionist will assist the department with coordination of the daily operations of the front desk, and other duties to ensure efficient work flow and patient care.
Job Duties & Essential Functions:
- Utilize Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and/or other systems for check-in/check-out processes including verifying patient demographics, insurance information, obtaining patient signatures on applicable patient forms, and have the patient complete any paperwork associated with the visit.
- Enter/scan patient data into the EMR.
- Collect any necessary payments and process accordingly.
- Facilitate patient flow by notifying the provider of patients’ arrival, delays or backlogs and communicate with other staff and/or patients as necessary.
- Schedule patient appointments and remind the patients of any necessary documentation that may be required for their appointment.
- Schedule any services or procedures as needed.
- Obtain/retrieve referrals/authorizations/eligibility verification that may be required.
- Keep office supplies adequately stocked by anticipating inventory needs and placing orders or advising office manager of items needed.
- Place patients in the examination rooms and document using the electronic medical record, medications, vitals and main reason for visit.
- Perform screening and measuring procedures, which include but are not limited to, height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, EKG.
- Obtain previous test results from outside labs, radiology, physicians’ offices, etc.
- Prepare rooms after each patient and for specific procedures as needed.
- Ensure the cleanliness and adequate supply of medical inventory in each exam room.
- Ensure HIPAA and OSHA guidelines are followed at all times.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by management.
Required Education & Qualifications:
- High School diploma/GED.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Office Administration program or Certified Nursing Assistant Program in lieu of at least 6 months of prior experience working as a Medical Receptionist in a high volume physician practice is preferred. Minimum of 3 years of clerical experience is required in lieu of program requirements.
- Must be proficient in using an EMR and a practice management system.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and pay close attention to detail.
- Must have knowledge of insurance companies and their requirements for copays, referral/authorizations.
- Must have basic computer skills, including emailing and proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must have excellent organization skills.
- Must have superior written and expressive communication skills.
- Must have ability to work as an efficient team member.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Certified in phlebotomy.
- CPR/AED Certified.
CPMP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Type: Full-time
- Electronic Medical Records: 1 year (Required)
- Medical Clerical: 3 years (Preferred)
- Medical Assisting: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program (Preferred)
- Certified Nursing Assistant Program (Preferred)
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Office Administration (Preferred)
- Certified in phlebotomy (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts