All positions at Lucky’s Market are required to execute their daily job responsibilities in addition to focusing on sales and customer service. It is the expectation of each employee to maintain a positive attitude and a willingness to be a team player.
The Meat Cutter is responsible for keeping store meat cases stocked and clean during business hours. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Meat Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Stocks meat cases; includes presentation of product, facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Meat Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Ensures cleanliness of meat aisles, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Monitors the rotation of all meat products paying particular attention to expired stock.
- Responds positively to customer’s inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection while working the meat counter; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Requires operating and using equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Monitors that proper temperatures are being maintained at all stages during the production of meat and seafood items.
- Cuts, trays, and packages all of the required meat and seafood products required for the day.
- Maintains the organization, stacking, and rotating of all meat products in the cooler and freezer.
- Uses knowledge of scales, weight measures, and tares to accurately weigh and label meat products; includes packaging and wrapping product and following the proper dating procedures.
- Prepares various specialty meat and seafood products using the recipe standards set by Lucky’s; includes using the appropriate ingredients and proper assembly for product being made.
- Maintains proper safety practices and care while using all the cutting accessories available in the meat department; complies with the use of mesh gloves while using a knife.
- Participates in pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years professional experience.
- Preferred 2-3 years grocery retail experience in Meat department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
- Journeyman cutter or apprenticeship program completed preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to support and contribute to team goals
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Must have basic knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Must have skills working with knives, tenderizers, grinders, and general meat machinery.
- Must have expert packaging and wrapping skills.
- Ability to cut and weigh various amounts of meat and seafood.
- Understands COOL compliance for seafood products; what country the various products are coming from.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Ability to enter the cold case, cooler, and freezer thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.