Auto req ID: 4732BR
Posting Title: Materials Planner/Scheduler
Job Category: Purchasing
Alternative Work Location: 315
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions – whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
This position is responsible for the coordination of material, inventory and stock efforts for the operations at Naples facility. In addition, this position will be responsible for supplier base current and future capability of providing quality product to support production schedule. Areas included but not limited to: ERP/MRP systems, OTD metrics, monthly forecast, purchasing and inventory control and supply chain. The position reports directly to the Materials Manager with a dotted line to the Production Manager.
Key Job Elements
- Responsible for receiving all production orders and performs data entry into the system and ensures put away is available. Setting priorities to accommodate production needs and flow of orders (what orders to print);
- Maintains control of incoming and outgoing material (count, tracks);
- Manages scrap (internal & external customer) and communicates with QA Supervisor for further investigation;
- Collaborates with Shipping & Receiving with order fulfillment for same day request and with the creation of labels;
- Works closely with all functions (Sales, Operations, Logistics, QA…) to prioritize, plan, schedule and release production orders to meet customer demands;
- Responsible for developing and reviewing production plans with manufacturing, purchasing, and assembly to ensure all components are readily available; including coordination with managers due to changes;
- Lead daily production meetings and report daily/weekly/monthly goals by identifying roadblocks and providing management with possible solutions;
- Monitor and report OTD (On Time Delivery) metric and establish guidelines for management (tracking progress and inefficiencies);
- Generate monthly forecast and work with management to execute the plan;
- Develop cost savings through new and innovative materials and methods impacting production scheduling, capacity planning, and inventory planning;
- Perform other duties as assigned by Materials Manager, Production Manager or Plant Manager.
Education / Training
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management Systems, Logistics, Inventory Control or related field.
Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge of inventory control, supply chain, planning and shipping and receiving ;
- Excellent communications skills to interact effectively with employee at all levels;
- Locomotive product knowledge; proficiency in ERP/MRP systems;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common business documents such as packing lists, manifests, bills of lading, pallet tickets, invoices, purchase orders, or job work orders.
- Microsoft Office – Advance Level (strong MS Excel);
- Wear all required PPE (safety glasses, metatarsal boots, earplugs, gloves, etc.) No jewelry (on shop);
- Must be able to work in moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust or confined spaces;
- Able to tolerate high noise (above 85 decibels);
- Adhere to Progress Rail (PR) safety rules and regulations.
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in a Logistics or Inventory role;
- Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP) or Certificate in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) by Association of Operations Management (APICS).
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
- Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status – governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities