Reporting to the Ship’s Master as well as the Hospitality Director, and the ship’s Owners, the mate is a licensed member of the deck department with a primary responsibility as the shipboard events coordinator. This person is a member of the shipboard management team and works collaboratively in the planning and execution of client event charters as well as general shipboard administrative and managerial duties. The work schedule is commensurate with supervisory hospitality & cruise line schedule demands.
The Grand Luxe is an US registered 87 GRT / 2700 GT 220’ inspected passenger ship Event charter vessel. Sea Time may accrue under the alternative tonnage of 2700 T. A Mate can be substituted for a Senior Deckhand (Unlicensed)
Event Management Responsibilities:
- Work with individual, corporate, destination management, & yacht broker clients in the preparation & execution of their event charters.
- Administer the business and human resources aspects of the hospitality & food & beverage departments.
- Administer the event charter files, BEOs, timelines, floor plans, vendor certificates of insurance and distribute these files and notes across the onboard team.
- Organize & coordinate & execute potential client walk-throughs, wedding tastings, and pre-con meetings.
- Motivate, coach and regularly meet with/appraise department employees
- Coordinate charter client A/V contractors, vendors, rental companies, security and miscellaneous vendors.
- Order and maintain all required supplies for the department.
- Provide feedback to the Hospitality Director and the Ship’s Master.
- Visibly be on the floor as a key manager during charters and be responsive to the client’s needs.
Shipboard Watch Standing Officer Responsibilities
- As directed by the Master, the Mate (Second) has the authority under his/her licensure to perform responsibilities aboard their vessel or when otherwise engaged in the business of the Company in the capacity of a Mate in a manner consistent with this job description.
- As directed by the Master, the Mate (Second) serves as the OICNW and is responsible for the safe piloting, navigation, and maintenance of the vessel in compliance with the applicable laws and regulations
- The Mate (Second) supervises deck crew, vendors, and sub-contractors as directed by the Chief Mate including service delivery, bridge management, human resource management, and cost management in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Company.
Shipboard Staff Officer Responsibilities
- Serve as the shipboard team’s office & clerical administrator.
- Assist all departments with purchasing, shore labor coordination, inventories, and documentation.
- Create, prepare, and distributed meeting minutes for weekly Captain and Hotel Director meetings.
- Train in emergency procedures.
- Visibly be a key shipboard staff officer & direct crew & staff as required.
- Mate 100 Ton MMD
- 2+ year’s management experience
- A college degree is highly preferred
- Possesses a strong command of the English language
- Ability to effectively lead and oversee a diverse number of positions and people
- Strong executive presence; the ability to interact with people at all levels
- Ability to manage numerous project and work processes simultaneously
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management, organizational and communication skills
- 1+ year(s) experience in the cruise/yacht industry preferred
- 1+ year(s) experience in the event industry preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $34,000.00 – $39,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Merchant Mariner Document (Preferred)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative