The Area Transportation Manager will review and oversee safe and timely transportation for CMS students to and from school; approved field trips, extended day tutorials, Saturday Academy, athletic events, and all other approved events requiring transportation service.
This individual is required to make decisions regarding the daily operation of his/her transportation area; decisions must align with the policies and practices set forth by district and department guidelines.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives consistent and in alignment with the school district and transportation department vision and goals.
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff involved in transportation activities; schedules and reviews activities to insure that work is completed in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Assist in developing and maintaining efficient and timely bus routes utilizing the automated transportation information system (TIMS).
- Communicate clearly, accurately and timely any adjustments in regularly scheduled bus stops, runs and/or routes to the schools, drivers, students and parents within the transportation area’s supervisory responsibility.
- Coordinate with administrators, principals, parents, students, as well as bus drivers and bus monitors to improve safety and quality of transportation services.
- Attend parent and school level meetings regarding transportation issues or service levels as required.
- Supervise bus drivers and bus monitors in accomplishment of daily assignments and required service levels.
- Holds all staff accountable to achieve area operations required activities while meeting the department goals as described in the Data Dashboard. Service levels and operational tasks are completed in an effective and efficient manner.
- Evaluates operations and activities of the transportation functions of assigned area; recommends improvements and modifications; prepares and analyzes various reports on area operations and activities.
- Coaches and/or mentors subordinates consistently and fairly; works with employees to improve or correct deficiencies on the job as necessary.
- Conducts employee evaluation and executes progressive disciplinary process for employees with performance issues as required by Human Resources.
- Answers questions and provides information to school system and department staff; investigates problems and recommends corrective action as necessary.
- Assists in the determination of school closing due to inclement weather conditions.
- Investigates accidents involving school buses and other school district vehicles; completes and submits required local and state attorney general office reports.
- Plans and conducts regular safety meetings and other area required instruction with area office staff, drivers and monitors.
- Perform 24 hour on-call response support for transportation services to handle emergencies and unusual situations within CMS and Mecklenburg County.
- Complete department, district and/or state required and/or requested reports completely, accurately and on time.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution with emphasis in business management, logistics and/or transportation management or
High school diploma or G.E.D. with ten years of transportation related experience with increasing supervisory
- Three – Five years previous management/ supervisory experience
- Masters Degree with emphasis in business management, logistics and/or transportation management
- Ten years work experience in pupil transportation with at least five years in management and transportation supervision
Licensing / Certification Requirements:
- Must possess or be eligible to obtain a valid North Carolina driver’s license.