- Perform basic carpentry work associated with maintaining operations buildings and public access areas.
- Maintain, repair, modify for accessibility, and occasionally construct structures of concrete, block, and occasionally brick or other related materials.
- Review and/or prepare various reports, to include maintenance tracking system reports, daily reports, equipment logs and inspection reports.
- Safely and effectively operate equipment such as skid steer loaders, bulldozers, backhoes, excavators, augers, dump trailers, compressors, loaders, chainsaws, and various power and hand tools.
- Perform hands on maintenance work such as welding, cutting, sheet metal fabrication, plumbing, electrical, masonry/concrete, tree removal, buoy installation, painting, carpentry, sign installation, etc.
- Assist in flood risk management and operation of flood control gates to manage lake elevations.
- Frequent use of fall arrest equipment and confined space entry, after training and certification.
Job family (Series)
4749 Maintenance Mechanic
- Maintenance Workers, All Other
- Repair Workers, All Other
- Workers, Maintenance, All Other
- Workers, Repair, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a two year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315. While probationary the incumbent can be terminated with limited appeal rights.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires that you undergo Urinalysis Testing prior to entering the position and random drug testing thereafter.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain all Corps of Engineers licenses associated with this position. The Government has a Licensing Program which includes but is not limited to Dump Truck, Truck and Trailer, Crane, Forklift, and Construction Equipment.
- Must obtain and maintain a Commercial Driver's license (CDL) and a valid state Driver's License in one of the 50 U.S. states or possessions to operate vehicles.
- Must obtain and maintain a Motorboat Operator?s License.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position requires you to wear a prescribed uniform while in a duty status.
- Incumbent may be required to perform wildfire suppression duties.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Maintenance Worker without more than normal supervision. Incumbent must have the ability to perform common maintenance tasks or repair machinery or engines, including operating common hand tools and measuring devices for carpentry, electrical, or plumbing trades to perform simple maintenance tasks in addition to the ability to operate a variety of vehicles such as trucks, forklifts, and cranes. – Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: Incumbentmust be able to perform all physical requirements of this position as identified in the position description. Duties include but are not limited to climbing ladders and steep stairways, and working on steep and uneven ground. Incumbent must be capable of lifting at least 50 pounds unassisted or up to 100 pounds with the assistance of one other person. Tasks requiring the ability to lift 50 pounds while working alone include but are not limited to lifting and carrying a five gallon can of kerosene, lifting and carrying a 50 pound bag of wildlife seed, lifting and carrying a 5 gallon can of paint, cleaning liquid or hydraulic oil. Tasks requiring the ability to lift up to 100 pounds with the assistance of one other person include but are not limited to moving furniture and lifting 80 pound bags of cement.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Incumbent works in a variety of conditions. Work is completed on but not limited to scaffolding, high ladders or rooftops subject to dangers such as but not limited to falling, exposed to possibility of burns, cuts and bruises, broken bones or infections. Incumbent may work in inclement weather to perform duties including but not limited to surveillance of project, various inspections, boundary marking, special events, and emergency situations (respond to public accidents, drowning incidents, etc.). Incumbent must be capable or working in conditions of dust, welding fumes, paint vapors and sandblast particles utilizing appropriate personal protective equipment for those conditions which may be heavy and uncomfortable.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 17 – Material Maintenance Management position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction.htm for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement.
If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel of DoD Workforce to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
About the Position: This is a Maintenance Worker, WG-4749-08 position with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Southwestern Division (SWD), Fort Worth District, Operations Division, Piney Woods Regional Office. This is a permanent and full-time position and is located in Jefferson, TX.
Occasional travel – Business Travel may be up to 15% of the time.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
All U.S. Citizens