To perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the maintenance of City parks.
Functions & Duties: As Maintenance Technician:
- Prepare and maintain common areas in parks.
- Perform a variety of landscaping and grounds maintenance tasks including: mowing, planting and transplanting landscape materials; applying fertilizer; trimming and pruning; watering plants; and laying or replacing sod.
- Mix and apply pesticide and fertilizer sprays under the direction of the Crew Leader for lawns and shrubs to control insects, diseases, and pests.
- Spray common areas and city medians to control ants and weeds.
- Operate a variety of machines and tools such as: power mowers; edgers; clippers; chain saws; power sprayers; and hydraulic tools.
- Stripe, chalk, and drag ball fields in preparation for leagues.
- Perform minor maintenance and repair work on equipment and machinery.
- Maintain and repair park structures.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Competencies:
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and treatment of soils, grasses and plants.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of routine preventative maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Some knowledge of effective remedial measures to control diseases, insects and pests that attack plants and grasses.
- Some knowledge of the methods used in mixing and types of fertilizer and chemicals used in soils.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools, materials and equipment used to maintain lawns and shrubs.
- Six (6) months to one (1) year experience preferred.
- May be required to operate trucks, aerial trucks, power saws, hand tools, safety equipment and other hydraulic and gas powered equipment.
- Possess a valid state of Florida Class “B” CDL driver’s license with an acceptable driving record or must be able to obtain Class “B” CDL within six (6) months of employment.
- Preferred Public Applicator License.
SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, officials, and the general public.
- Physical strength and agility sufficient to permit working overhead, and with equipment or objects weighing over 50 pounds.
- Must be able to read instructions, write simple reports, visually determine that work is being done correctly, differentiate colors, and hear instructions given in a quiet or noisy environment.
- Ability to perform strenuous labor in all weather conditions. May be exposed to toxic fumes, caustic chemicals, various wildlife and vermin.
- A person in this position must be able to walk, sit, climb ladders, kneel, bend, reach, push and or pull, lift and lower, handle, feel and grasp tools and equipment and make minor repairs.
- Must be able to move and / or carry heavy objects for short and long distances.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Employees in this position will be required to work pre, during and post emergency operations related to tropical storms, hurricanes, tornados, floods, fires or acts of terrorism.