The Maintenance Manager has overall managerial responsibility for maintenance functions at the Property, including maintenance, upkeep and repair of grounds and buildings, repairs of machinery and other equipment, customer service, pest control, extraordinary projects and general oversight of the turnover process. The primary duties include leading a team of maintenance staff and vendor workers to accomplish these maintenance functions. Assists the Regional Maintenance Manager & Director of Facilities in successful management of the maintenance operations at the Property, providing guidance and motivation to maintenance staff to ensure a positive working environment and quality community living.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Maintenance Manager’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct all business in accordance with company standards and local city, state and federal codes when applicable (e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing, etc.) Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates weekly schedules of maintenance staff, including On-Call schedule
- Conducts weekly and monthly meetings of maintenance staff to discuss performance, maintenance issues, leasing issues, company goals, training & motivation
- Creates checklists & informs Management of extraordinary items
- Ensures upkeep of all autos, golf carts, and other machinery used at the Property
- Facilitates employee introduction to Company Policy & Procedures, as part of Management, participates in implementation of various policies, standards, procedures and programs
- Initiates, performs & oversees maintenance projects. Develops scopes of work for Property improvements. Ensures the proper & safe conditions of the Property
- Identifies scope of work for Maintenance staff, assigns and directs maintenance work and service requests
- Maintains Vendor List for Property
- Manages a team of maintenance staff at the Property in accordance with Company policies and applicable laws, to accomplish maintenance functions including maintenance, upkeep and repair of grounds and buildings, maintenance and repair of machinery and other equipment, customer service, pest control, extraordinary projects, and provides general oversight of turnover process.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training maintenance employees;
- Planning, assigning, directing and supervising work;
- Appraising performance;
- Rewarding and disciplining employees;
- Addressing employee complaints and resolving problems.
- Provides continual feedback & guidance to Staff, ensures proper training of all Maintenance Staff
- Solicits & analyzes competitive bids for any purchase or budgeted maintenance & capital improvements when requested
- Able to perform job responsibilities of Maintenance Supervisor, to fill in on occasion, as needed
- Assists Corporate with vendor management and setup of new vendors
- Assists Maintenance Coordinator in addressing tenant concerns
- Assists Regional Maintenance Manager, as needed
- Completes Property Incident reports
- Provides list of inventory of rent ready apartments to management team
- Provides management team status of “offline” units
- Knowledgeable regarding and upholds all Company policies, goals and values.
- Represents the community in a professional manner at all times-on/off property.
- Delivers communication documentation to residents.
- Contributes to resident retention programs.
- Monitors the grounds for safety hazards and ensures unsafe conditions are promptly identified, reported and corrected.
- Gains ongoing knowledge and ensures compliance with all Company, local, state and federal safety rules.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations are available, upon request, to assist qualified persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, as needed.
- 40 hours or more per week. Weekly schedule may change as required. Weekends as circumstances warrant.
- Required to wear back support belt, and gloves as tasks dictate.
- An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
- Hand Tools: Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
- User-Moved Aids: Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, jacks, step ladders, full ladders.
- Power Tools: Blowers, power washers, etc.
- Mechanical Equipment: Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
- Measuring Devices: Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred; or 4 years in construction or apartment maintenance work and/ or training; or equivalent of education and experience. Prior administrative experience and experience in property and real estate management highly desirable.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and experience in Property Management software such as Yardi, Grace-Hill, & Silvertrac a plus.
- Fair Housing Certification.
- Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT) is helpful in this position.
- Must have valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage.
- CPR and HVAC/CFC Certificate and valid Pool Certification preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
- In order to perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up debris, access to all levels of the property and buildings, move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc. Handle tools and equipment, conduct inventory prepare requisition requests and maintenance reports, must: stand, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladders, push or pull, reach above shoulder, grasp, grip, turn, finger dexterity, writing or otherwise communicating information to others.
- Lifting/carrying (supplies, blower, ladders, etc.):
Over 150 lbs. Rare need (less than 1% of the time)
75 – 150 lbs. Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)
25 – 75 lbs. Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)
1 – 25 lbs. Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is often accomplished with assistance from one or more persons and while wearing the required, appropriate safety equipment. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washer/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, etc.
- Must be able to communicate (orally and written) in a professional manner on a regular basis with prospective residents, current residents, staff, management and co-workers within the company as well as with outside vendors. Must be able to work as part of a team. Follows instructions and responds to management’s direction. Takes constructive criticism and uses it as a learning tool.
- Directly supervises five or more employees in the service department (Maintenance Porter, Technicians I, II, Leads, Maintenance Coordinator, Assistant Service Manager I, II, and Service Manager).
ATTENDANCE AND PUNCTUALITY:
- Is reliable and consistently at work and on time; weekend work is required.
- Travel may be required within the Southern California Region.
OTHER COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
- An energetic, positive, ethical and enthusiastic leader with strong people management skills. Effective communicator, trainer and motivator. Inspires trust, respect and loyal team relationships.
- Understands business objectives (focus on profitability, quality, professionalism, efficiency and effective use of time), and is results driven. Develops practical strategies to achieve business objectives. Makes sound business decisions.
- Excels in a fast paced, dynamic environment; ability to adapt to changing priorities; remains organized and focused under pressure; able to meet deadlines.
- Calmly and effectively manages conflict, difficult and/or emotional situations; focusing on resolving issues and achieving an effective solution, rather than on blame.
- General understanding of company’s policies and laws applicable to the conduct of business; follows and enforces such policies and laws.
- Works independently with little or only general supervision.
- Is accountable for the responsibilities of the position; accepts constructive criticism in a positive manner.
- Ability to plan, budget, schedule staff and resources effectively and efficiently.
- Treats others with respect; shows sensitivity to and respect for cultural differences; supports diverse workforce and helps to ensure a workplace and living community free from unlawful discrimination and harassment.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion with regard to sensitive proprietary and confidential information of Company, residents, and customers.
Garden Communities is an equal opportunity employer, veterans and disabled.