Hours are a shift between between 0600AM and 4:30PM
Roswell Independent School District
Job Title: CARPENTER
Reports To: COORDINATOR OF MAINTENANCE
General Job Description:
Perform all type of carpentry and related work to include: Rough construction and forming, framing, cabinet and finish work, application of protective coatings, glass installation, tile work, door hardware installation and repair.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work cooperatively with colleagues, supervisors, and administrators.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior.
- Follow District policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Maintain behavior appropriate to performing and accomplishing assigned duties.
- Know what to do to successfully complete assigned work.
- Project over-all concern for personal appearance as it relates to job performance.
- Carry out assignments and instructions from supervisor(s) in a competent and efficient manner.
- Perform assignments in such a manner so as not to interrupt the classroom learning environment.
- Work in a safe manner with personal safety and the safety of others as the number one priority.
- Communicate with supervisor and co-workers.
- Using the current work order system: Perform tasks on work orders assigned in a capable and timely manner. Complete and turn in work order paperwork in a timely manner with purchases, labor, and work performed listed.
- Construct forms for concrete work.
- Construct framing of walls, and roof structures.
- Building of cabinets, desks, shelving, and related finish carpentry items.
- Application of finish coatings on items constructed.
- Glass and glazing product removal and installation.
- Tile and flooring removal and installation.
- Ceiling removal, repair and installation.
- Door and door hardware removal, repair, and installation.
- Builds items (e.g. counters, temporary partitions, etc.) for the purpose of modifying and/or adapting facilities to specific needs.
- Report to work on time and work no less than 8 hours per day.
- Manual physical labor, lifting, and moving materials, furniture, equipment, and supplies.
- Maintain assigned uniforms, equipment, and tools in operable, safe and attractive status.
- Account for supplies, materials, and equipment as required.
- Complete records and reports as required in a timely manner, many deadlines to meet.
- Maintain facilities security.
- Maintain a clean, safe and work friendly workshop.
- Operate heavy equipment such as front-end loader, backhoe, bobcat, forklift, etc. in a safe manner.
- Perform any other duties/functions as assigned by your immediate supervisor.
- High School diploma or GED
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s license appropriate for operating vehicles of the size required of this position.
- Minimum of three successful years in the carpentry trade or completion of trade school course of study.
- Knowledge of the trade sufficient to accomplish the duties of this position.
- Evidence of Insurability Locksmith Certificate.
Page 1 of 2
Roswell Independent School District
- Physical ability to do manual work for 8 hours per day.
- Standing, driving, sitting, bending, stooping, kneeling, lifting, climbing ladders. Lifting floor to mid-thigh maximum (50 pounds) occasionally. Lifting from mid-thigh to shoulder maximum (50 pounds) occasionally. Lifting from shoulder to overhead (40 pounds) occasionally, carrying (50 pounds) maximum occasionally.
- Work overhead, in tight areas, off of ladders, off of scaffolds, at floor level (on knees).
- Work safely from ladders.
- Hand/eye coordination, normal range of sight.
- Any lifting that would require more than 50 pounds of dead weight should be done by at least two people.
- Full mobility of fingers/hands.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment such as front end loader, back hoe, bobcat, fork lift, etc. in a safe manner.
Safety and Health Requirements:
- Proper posture is required to eliminate acute and chronic low back pain.
- Read, understand, and observe all precautions and proper methods of use on all chemicals, equipment, tools and materials.
- Complete all required training.
- Knowledge of universal hygiene precautions (blood borne pathogens, body fluids, etc.)
Hand tools, equipment, chemicals, ladders, platforms, and materials particular to this trade skill. Work vehicle, material handling equipment.
The work environment varies greatly in the place of work from working in a building alone to working in school facilities with large numbers of people. Conditions range from working outside in the extreme heat of the summer, to comfortable building, to working outside in very cold temperatures. Work schedule will be assigned to best meet the needs of the students and may be altered at any time to accommodate the students. Overtime will be assigned on an as needed basis to take care of emergency situations. Flexibility and patience are required. Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignments without direct supervision. May work under stressful conditions on occasion.
Terms of Employment:
Salary and work year to be established by the Board.