At Unitus, each employee has an opportunity to make a difference for our members. As part of the Indirect Lending team, the Loan Underwriter is based out of our downtown Portland headquarters with remote work options and provides an exceptional service experience in consumer loan underwriting working with current and potential Unitus members, vehicle dealerships, student loan partners and other third parties. Duties may include origination, underwriting, and auditing consumer loan applications. This person is responsible for communication with members and dealer partners to explain program policies and features, review applications for consumer loan compliance, verify the credit application information, analyze credit reports, verify terms and conditions and make appropriate loan decisions based on approved guidelines using automated or semi-automated loan origination systems. This is aligned with our mission to ensure our commitment for unparalleled service – the kind that creates the Unitus difference. Our strong team of leaders, outstanding culture, above market benefits, continuous involvement in the communities we serve, and competitive pay programs make Unitus an excellent place to contribute and grow your talents.
As an ideal candidate, you will have:
- Bachelors’ degree in Business or a related field; or equivalent in work experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience in one or a combination of the following: underwriting, processing, originations, or closing in consumer, mortgage or residential equity lending products.
- Must have strong working knowledge of consumer lending laws and regulations and experience in and use of lending platforms and systems.
- Excellent communication skills including effective listening, problem solving, customer service, and tact in dealing with staff and members.
- Strong ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail and performing follow through on problems through resolution using technology and people resources.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word/Excel, with the ability to learn and adapt to specialized loan software.
- Advanced knowledge of credit reports and credit counseling.
- Must be eligible for and able to maintain currency of NMLS registration for S.A.F.E. Act requirements.
- Requires the ability to routinely perform math, assess individual member needs, identify problems and develop solutions, and exercise sound judgment in credit decisions within established guidelines and loan policy.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and to prioritize tasks and adapt to a wide range of job responsibilities.
- Proven ability to learn information quickly and maintain composure under pressure on a daily basis in a high production, structured environment.
- Comprehend and adhere to all company wide and department specific policies and procedures.
What’s it really like to work here?
We are a people-focused organization that places an emphasis on culture. Unitus is local, successful, and committed to continuously improving and growing!
Unitus Community Credit Union (Unitus) is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be given full consideration for employment regardless of race, color, age, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Applicants may request reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process