Event Medicine Paramedic, PRN
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
The Event Medicine division of Vanderbilt LifeFlight was started in the fall of 2008, when Vanderbilt Medical Center became the official healthcare provider of the Nashville Predators. Vanderbilt LifeFlight Event Medicine provides EMT and paramedic level EMS (emergency medical services) for team members and spectators at all home games for the Nashville Predators. Our Event Medicine Division handles 1,000 events annually in the Middle Tennessee area.
In addition to the Nashville Predators, Vanderbilt LifeFlight Event Medicine provides EMS coverage (including ambulance standby) for all events at the Bridgestone Arena. Vanderbilt Athletics (Vanderbilt Football, Vanderbilt Basketball, Vanderbilt Baseball, Vanderbilt Lacrosse, Vanderbilt Cross Country, Vanderbilt Track and Field); CMA Music Festival; Iroquois Steeplechase; iRun For The Party; Nashville Sounds Baseball; Dierks Bentley Miles and Music; Vanderbilt University Special Events; Vanderbilt Rites of Spring Annual Music Festival; Nashville Women’s Half Marathon; Music City New Year’s Eve Bash on Broadway and Nashville Pride Annual Downtown Festival.
Our Event Medicine Paramedics provide emergency medicine at both small and large events. The ability to work independently is critical, since you may be the only EMS person at the event based on size and contractual agreements. Based on this need to work independently, we are able to consider only paramedics with 911 experience.
Independently works off assessment skills to activate patient care protocols to deliver patient care within his/her full scope of practice as defined by the state of Tennessee and LifeFlight’s scope of practice. Maintains compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards. Responsible for triage care in the pre-hospital environment as well as the Emergency Department. Responsible for effective communication to ensure safe and quality patient care in the paramedic team, transport and handover.
- Actively participates with other members of the healthcare team to provide direct patient care.
- Effectively communicates patient handover to the health care team.
- Utilizes the problem solving model to independent resolve patient problems and follow through with HCT to implement solutions.
- Transports patients via various modes of transportation while providing quality ALS management to all ages.
- Responds to emergency requests within Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt sponsored or other contracted events.
- Maintains clinical competency per regulatory and accreditation compliance.
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
AIRWAY ESTABLISHING (NOVICE):– Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate airway establishing in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments. Has retained equivalent knowledge from past experience.
CRITICAL THINKING – (INTERMEDIATE):– Clearly and quickly demonstrates the recognition of assumptions and concepts. Shows a solid empirical grounding and a sound reasoning leading to conclusions, implications and consequences. Able to accept and understand objections from alternative viewpoints. Responsive to variable subject matter, issues, and purposes.
VENTILATOR MANAGEMENT (INTERMEDIATE):– Demonstrates mastery of ventilator management in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering ventilator management services without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
ASSESSING, INTERVENING & STABILIZING PATIENTS (INTERMEDIATE):– Demonstrates mastery of assessing, intervening and stabilizing patients in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully assessing, intervening and stabilizing patients without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
MEDICATION MANAGEMENT (INTERMEDIATE):– Demonstrates mastery of Medication Management in practical applications of a difficult nature. Conducted individual or group interventions to improve the ability of an individual to self administer medications as prescribed, offering improvement in insight, education regarding side effects, effects of medication and level of symptoms. Conducted systematic and regular assessment of actual or potential side effects experienced by a person as a result of prescribed medication. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully conducting Medication Management without requiring support and instruction from others.
- Organizational Impact: Delivers job responsibilities that impact own job area/team with some guidance.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Uses existing procedures, research and analysis to solve standard job related problems that may require some judgement.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Requires subject matter knowledge within a professional area to meet job requirements.
- Team Interaction: Individually contributes to project/ work teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P1):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues’ priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P1):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.