Through the application of the nursing process and in collaboration with the healthcare and security team, provide nursing care based on established nursing protocols, with ongoing documentation for the detainee population.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Although it is not possible to provide an exhaustive list of all types of duties, responsibilities and performance standards, the following are the essential job functions:
- Prepares, administers and documents prescribed medication to detainees.
- Assist and/or perform triage, history and physicals and treatments within established nursing protocols and nurse practice standards.
- Responds to and initiates care to detainees for medical emergencies throughout the facility.
- Ability to organize the work assignment and prioritize the needs of the detainee population.
- Possesses physical and mental endurance with the ability to withstand stress.
- Teaching of healthcare information to detainees and staff.
- Adheres to safety and security policies and participation in drills.
- Collects specimens and cultures, as well as perform venipuncture when necessary.
- Knowledge of types and application of emergency medical procedures such as CPR and CPR with AED.
- Must have fair knowledge base of categories and characteristics of medications used in providing care.
- Ability to establish rapport and deal professionally with detainees from varied ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Possesses knowledge of and adherence to safety precautions, including proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Responsible for ordering, receiving and securing of prescribed medications and supplies.
- Knowledge and monitoring of detainees who have chronic diseases, including but not limited to diabetes, hypertension, hepatitis, asthma and HIV
- Ability to plant and read PPD/TST tests.
- All other tasks as indicated by the Director of Nursing, Health Service Administrator, Medical Director or their designees.
- Must follow all nursing protocols and policies of the Health Service Department, as well as nurse practice standards.
- Registers and logs all security instruments in the department, such as sharps, temperature logs, and controlled substances.
- Responsible for the medications locked in the medication cart.
- All other tasks as required by your supervisor.
GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Nursing Theory and process
- Excellent patient evaluation/screening skills
WORKING SKILL IN:
- Making sound judgments in making decisions in accordance with departmental rules, regulations, and policies
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public
Graduate from an approved nursing education program witha diploma or certificate as a LPN.
LICENSE & CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
Must possess a current valid LPN license in the state of Rhode Island. Must also receive a satisfactory background check.
This position reports to Registered Nurse, Charge Nurse, Director of Nursing, Health Service Administrator, and/or Medical Director.
This position may have Licensed Practical Nurses and Medical Technicians reporting to it.
Must follow all proper policies and procedures of the institution.
Requires regular and reliable attendance.
Possess physical and mental endurance to respond properly and professionally to stressful situations.
The work does involve some walking, standing, lifting objects up to 25 lbs, bending, stooping, reaching and speaking clearly.
The correctional environment is a fast paced, stressful area of nursing specialty. Applicant must possess a professional work ethic, and work well under pressure.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum one year experience required. Prior correctional or institutional experience preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00 to $28.35 /hour
- Healthcare: 1 year (Required)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Current State Nursing License
Completed license needed:
Nurse Patient Ratio:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply