The Library Clerk is responsible for the daily operations of the library Access (Circulation) department while implementing procedures and policies to ensure that the public is served with excellence. This position reports to the Access Manager or Sr. Library Access Services Asst. in the absence of Access Manager.
Salary amount offered will depend on qualifications.
- Support and embrace the vision, core values and communication agreements of the Victoria Public Library.
- Responsible for demonstrating a patron centered attitude and a professional, team-oriented working relationship with staff, coworkers, and volunteers.
- Uses computer to access the library’s automated system for daily activities that include issuing new library cards, check-in, check-out, holds, additions, deletions, updating and other activities.
- Answers phones, greets and directs patrons to appropriate areas.
- Train(s) and supervises volunteers and part time employees as determined by supervisor.
- Collects fines and fees.
- Sorts library materials including, shelving and shelf-reading.
- Retrieves library items from locations outside the library.
- Receives, sorts, file and process new library materials and donations.
- May be assigned cleaning and repair of library material.
- May assist in the weeding of library collections.
- May assist in delivering and retrieving items from other locations.
- Performs duties in a safe and orderly manner, complying with all City and department safety rules.
- Regular attendance at work and arrives on time.
- Provides desk coverage, including weekends and nights.
- Performs all other-related duties as assigned or as become apparent.
Ability to drive a vehicle to and from various worksites. Employee will stretch, bend, kneel, twist, climb, squat and stoop while performing duties. Employee will frequently lift up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift up to 45 pounds. Routinely pushes/pulls book truck weighing up to 300 pounds. Provides desk coverage on weekends and nights. Employee may be exposed to mechanical, chemical and electrical hazards while operating library equipment.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
Ability to read and understand manuals in order to access the library’s automation system. Basic math skills. Knowledge of library automated systems, computers, cash registers and ordinary office equipment. Ability to understand and cross-reference filing systems. Excellent customer service skills while working with patrons, citizens, and vendors. Ability to be an organized team player who serves the public and other employees with dedication to communication, teamwork and actions reflecting quality, charity, innovation and integrity.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification:
High school diploma or GED required. Valid Texas driver’s license with driving record that meets City guidelines.