Our Mission: Keep Washington Safe and Working! Our Values: Customer Focus, One L&I, Respect, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Learning and Growth, Reliability.
Washington is America’s Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and we provide one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. Here at the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We value our employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your work/life balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington’s 2.5 million workers. Learn more about L&I, the employer of choice here.
Labor & Industries has an amazing opportunity for someone interested in the fast growing field of business intelligence. This position is responsible for making reporting and business intelligence content available to our agency staff and executives.
As a Business Intelligence Developer, you serve the agency as a technical specialist in business intelligence work; designing, developing, testing, and coordinating the implementation of reporting, tracking, and performance monitoring solutions for process improvements.
This position designs and programs complex systems that incorporate data from across L&I. You will participate in building the foundation for tracking agency business processes and program metrics, and encourage the use of data for making decisions by developing and enhancing the agency’s Business Intelligence Center and reporting solutions.
You will have agency-wide responsibilities and must exercise independent judgement using comprehensive knowledge of agency policies and procedures to achieve results knowing that tomorrow may bring something brand new. This is a fast-paced job with where you will be working on several projects and a variety of staff at the same time. This job has great career growth opportunities.
** This position could be filled at the Journey level or in-training entry level.
Some of what you will do:
Performs Business Intelligence Application Development & Maintenance Activities:
- Design BI Solutions utilizing tools such as MS SQL Server, SSAS, SSRS, SSIS, PowerBI.
- Consulting with business area representatives and subject matter experts in order to design, code, test, and implement business intelligence reporting solutions within the Business Intelligence Center.
- Maintains reporting solutions to ensure that agency staff have access to customer reporting solutions with minimal interruptions.
Assists in data quality:
- Contributes to the Day-to-day efforts of data quality management.
- Conducts initial data quality checks on each business intelligence reporting solutions prior to passing the application on for more in-depth functionality and data quality testing.
Support Data Warehouse Help Desk:
- Assists agency staff with data concerns either by phone, email, or personal consultation resolution of issues improves customer morale and allows them to continue to perform their duties utilizing the data warehouse.
What we are looking for:
- The ability to provide timely and accurate business intelligence reporting and dashboard solutions for strategic and operational decision making using:
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Server Reporting Services Reports (SSRS)
- Power BI
- Determine the accuracy and reliability of reporting solutions.
- Expertise and experience in Data Warehouse dimensional design concepts and development.
- The ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications.
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described above.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience, and education.
3. A list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
As part of the hiring and selection process there will be a technical assessment that each candidate will have to complete if selected for an interview.
- Prior to any new hire into L&I, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted.
- This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
- Employees driving on state business shall have a valid driver’s license. If driving a privately owned vehicle on state business, must be insured.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For further information please contact us at: [email protected]
The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application process or testing process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions regarding this announcement, program, or the agency please contact April Elias at [email protected].