LEAD SUBSTATION PHYSICAL DESIGN POWER ENGINEER
AST is seeking a talented, sharp, ambitious, enthusiastic, experienced, ethical, autonomous, and quality-focused Lead Substation Design Engineer to join our Power Division team and look forward to discussing how your impressive talents can be utilized on interesting and engaging projects. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and great at being a positive team influence while maintaining the highest quality deliverables to our clients consistently delivering ahead of project schedules. This individual must possess the technical ability to independently work through a project from conceptual physical design to the construction phase and lead and mentor less senior team members working with and/or under their direction to complete physical design work. If this sounds like you, we would like the chance to speak with you about your rising star career at AST.
As an experienced high voltage power substation engineer, the ideal candidate will perform the majority of physical engineering design tasks assigned by the project’s engineer of record, lead in preparing contract documents for clients, train and mentor less experienced engineers, drafters, designers, and technical staff, lead in design coordination efforts, report any design issues directly to the project’s engineer of record, lead in performing engineering calculations, lead in performing peer review, lead in performing quality control reviews, and lead the team in developing the contract documents.
As a Lead Substation Physical Design Power Engineer, you will report directly to AST’s Power Division’s Vice President based in the Greater New Orleans metro area.
- As an experienced high voltage power substation physical design engineer, you will lead and perform the majority of the medium voltage, 69,000 volts, to extremely high voltage, 745,000 volts, power, physical design, and consulting services for AST projects with oversight by the project’s engineer of record.
- Power engineering, design, and consulting services encompass, but are not limited to, the below:
- Preparing, leading, and performing scoping reviews and/or site visits.
- Preparing, leading, and reviewing technical specifications, drawings, vendor information, emails, and other engineering deliverables.
- Preparing, leading, and reviewing drawing packages, calculations, and other transmittals to client.
- Providing engineering knowledge and assistance for scoping, proposals, business development, estimating, design, technical issues, workflow, and construction processes.
- Attending and leading conference calls for AST’s clients, contractors, subcontractors, vendors, and other third-parties as required.
- Preparing, leading, and reviewing design and analysis of engineering drawings and reports.
- Lead, train, guide, and mentor the efforts, knowledge, project, and career development of less senior staff.
- Maintain current health and safety credentials, as needed, and participate in health and safety-related activities.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering (Electrical preferred, Mechanical, Industrial, Civil, and Structural accepted).
- Engineer-in-Training Certificate strongly desired. Professional Engineering license preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of power experience in high and extremely high voltage power substation analysis and design. (Engineering consulting firm experience preferred)
- Working knowledge and mastery of high voltage power substation construction practices, IEEE, NEMA, NESC, NEC, and power industry standards.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills utilizing Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ethical and safety focused behavior.
- Ability to lead a design team while interacting with Owners, Clients, Contractors, Manufacturers, Vendors, Third-Parties, as well as positively affecting AST’s co-workers and team.
- Advanced knowledge of common power industry substation software packages including grounding calculations and analysis, mechanical bus calculations and analysis, conduit fill calculations and analysis, clearance calculations and analysis, corona calculations and analysis, and voltage drop calculations and analysis.
- Experience with Ajera, Autodesk, Bluebeam, and 3D modeling delivery is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of power industry design and construction techniques and practices is required.
- Ability to travel locally and international, on occasion, during scoping, site visits, and construction administration. Travel approximately 5-10%.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Lead Substation Engineer salary will be dependent upon experience and skill level. AST’s Power Division has a flexible work schedule with four (4) ten-hour workdays each week to empower our staff to enjoy an extra day out of the office each week. Candidate will have access to AST’s insurance plan, 401(k), PTO, and other benefits. AST is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, a drug-free workplace, and one of the industry leaders in safety.
Advanced Structural Technologies, Inc. (AST) is national engineering consulting firm specializing in power and structural engineering services. AST has completed over 1,500 projects throughout the United States and Canada since 2003. AST has two offices: the main headquarters in Edina, Minnesota, and the Power Division office in the Greater New Orleans area in Louisiana. AST provides design services for a wide range of clients including independent power providers, municipal utilities, electric cooperatives, investor-owned utilities, government utilities, developers, architects, contractors, and partner engineering firms. AST is a national lead in the implementation and use of 3D modeling for delivering structural projects and regularly utilities the technology with various design and construction teams.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $75,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- relevant: 1 year (Required)
- power: 3 years (Preferred)
- 3525 North Causeway Boulevard, Metairie, LA (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
- Professional Engineer (Preferred)
- Engineer In Training (EIT) (Preferred)
- Tuesday (Required)
- Wednesday (Required)
- Thursday (Required)
- Friday (Required)
- Attention to Detail Quiz is required for this job application. Please take within three business days after application or application will not be reviewed.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Flexible schedule