Lab Assistant – Support Services (Evening Shift) – We offer a competitive benefits package and development opportunities!
Do you like detailed work that emphasizes in quality and precision in various departments? Do you have the ability to grasp new information quickly? We are an established company located in the heart of the diamond district in mid-town Manhattan that offers its employees a competitive benefits package and developmental opportunities.
The Company: Founded in 1931, GIA is the world’s foremost authority in gemology. An independent, nonprofit organization, GIA protects the public trust in gems and jewelry by providing the education, research, and standards that consumers and the jewelry industry rely on to make informed purchase decisions.
The Location: New York, NY
The Job Title : Lab Assistant, Support Services (Pre/Post Grading)
- Work Hours: 3:30 pm – 11:30 pm Monday through Friday
- Hourly Rate: $17.50 per hour (plus 10% evening shift differential only)
- We offer medical, dental and vision coverage and matching 401-K plan
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays, tuition assistance, commuter benefits
- We provide a paid meal period that is catered for the evening shift only
This position supports a particular Lab Support Services department on a regular basis, but may also provide support to any of the following departments:
Weights & Measures
- Measure stone weight and other required data; prepare each stone for subsequent processes in accordance with procedures and requirements using relevant data
- Perform in-weigh and operate cleaning station
- Perform screening, label printing, and/or measure ultraviolet fluorescence
- Prepare casetting of stones
- Facilitate and distribute stones among assigned lab production functions as instructed
- Store stones for next process step in the system and physical location appropriately; facilitate easy retrieval through efficient storage in accordance with required processes
- File/Pull from the Wall, distribute stones to organize workflow
- Perform Vault/IC opening and closing processes
- Perform the requested Inscription Service per required procedures and requirements
- Operate inscription device
- Perform inscription support activities if assigned (e.g. inking, cleaning, sending/receiving, verifying inscription, etc.)
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma required or general education degree (GED) required
- One-year working experience in a fast paced, production oriented environment preferred
*Sponsorship for a work VISA is not available for this position
Why Should You Apply?
- Great benefits!
- Reasonable hours that provide work-life balance!
- Professional development opportunities!
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees.