This position contributes to Kalahari's success by providing Beyond Expectations customer service to all customers by providing them with prompt service, quality beverages and products, and maintaining a clean and comfortable work environment.
Public transportation available to Kalahari through Monroe County Transit Authority (MCTA) by way of the Silver Route.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Coffee Shop, restaurant, fast-food venue, and/or hotel and resort experience is helpful.
LICENSE/PERMITS REQUIRED: State or Local Law may require a certificate upon completion of an alcohol awareness/safety class as well as state-certified proper food handling certification may apply.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Must be able to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Must have good understanding of basic math skills. Must be able to add, subtract, multiple and divide in all unites of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills are a must. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the Resort.
KNOWLEDGE OF COMPUTER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE: Ability to operate a Micros terminal.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: General food and beverage knowledge involving at least 1 year of front-of-the-house operations is helpful. Prior restaurant experience in a full-service restaurant or fast-food venue or as a cashier is helpful. Background in the service industry is a plus.
- Must be able to frequently communicate and develop rapport with guests and associates and have a working relationship with the resort management team.
- Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 8 hours).
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
- Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Must be able to work well in stressful situations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Must have full knowledge of the menu, food items, specials of the day, coffee drinks, bakery case items, appropriate prices, layout of the Resort and its storage closets.
- Must be able to greet guests with energy, a genuine smile, positive body language, focused eye contact, and in a timely fashion.
- Take orders properly as well as enter into Micros terminal accurately.
- Follow correct cash/credit handling procedures; process orders by recording order and computing bill.
- Be able to perform credit card and room charge transactions.
- Answer questions about food, beverage, restaurants, resort services and all activities that Kalahari Resorts has to offer.
- Repeat back to the guest the entire order in a clear, professional and friendly tone of voice.
- Engage in friendly conversation while waiting orders or ringing up the menu items.
- During each order-taking process up-sell and/or suggest specific items on the menu that the guest and their family would enjoy.
- Up-sell and promote retail items that are displayed on counter space such as specialty glassware or novelty drinks.
- To-go orders should have the appropriate condiments, garnishes, silverware, napkins and offered to be put in a bag or container for easy transport.
- Advise the guests if order items will take longer than usual (such as freshly made breakfast sandwiches or items that need to be toasted).
- Check cash drawer for correct change and accuracy.
- Maintain constant communication between other cashiers and cooks/chefs on orders.
- Perform side work at the start and end of each shift as required by service station assignment.
- Keep all beverages made and stocked such as coffee, slush machines, etc.
- Maintain clean, neat, and organized service area.
- Stock cabinets and shelves, coolers, grab-n-go cases with supplies as needed.
- Order requisitions when needed.
- Thank guests for their order and their visit and invite them to return.
- Be conscious of food cost at all times not wasting or pre-plating too much food or mishandling items.
- Be available to fill in as needed to help other associates and to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the nearby restaurants as directed by the restaurant manager or immediate supervisor.
- Assist with clearing trays from hallways, guest walkways, guest rooms, and/or storage closets.
- Assist with dishwasher/utility duties when needed.
- Must be able to operate the micros terminal, beverage dispensers and coffee roaster.
- Be able to properly enter items on transfer, waste sheets daily.
- Ensure that all tickets, cash, room charges, credit cards are in order.
- Reconcile cash drawer and tickets in cash room with your daily sales.
- Fill out cash drop envelopes.
- Remove garbage throughout the shift and at the end of the shift.
- Consistently check freshness dates on wrapped/packaged foods and rotate inventory according to food and beverage handling specifications.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition by handling the equipment per instruction following the restaurant's preventative maintenance programs.
- Constantly observe counters and seating areas outside of the café for cleanliness and clear garbage using the proper sanitation methods to clean counters and table space.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurants, cafes, associates and guests.
- Be aware of guests' rate of consumption of alcohol and its effect and take immediate corrective action to help the guest as well as to protect the interest of Kalahari Resorts and its associates.
- Follow all laws pertaining to Alcohol Sales and Guest Safety.
- Follow safe food handling procedures and provide a safe environment for our guests and associates.
- Participate in training classes and all Daily Promise shift meetings and pre-meal service meetings.
- Report all concerns and problems to the Restaurant Manager and Supervisors when appropriate.
- Ensure friendly and courteous customer relations at all times, identifying and welcoming current patrons and work to identify and grow future business through guest relations.
- Keep an open line of communication with all departments and keep them posted on what is happening in the department.
- Protect dining rooms, café area, and guest room assets by adhering to security policies and procedures.
- Assist with ongoing projects, additional job duties as assigned through managers.