BronxWorks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences.
The St. Mary’s Park Community Center After School program seeks Youth Workers to supervise children; plan and implement literacy-based activities and clubs; set educational goals for children; provide homework help; create a nurturing environment; engage children in group games and sports; supervise junior counselors; and maintain student records.
Candidates must have a High School Diploma/GED; experience working with children in an educational or recreational setting; and demonstrated writing ability. Must be at least 18 years old. Youth Workers work
School Year: 2pm – 6pm Monday – Friday
Summer Session: 8am – 6pm Monday – Friday
- Under the direction of the Education Coordinator to support the academic goals of the Young Adult Literacy and EXCEL program.
- Help ensure for high quality programming. Offer input on program goals, program design, and evaluations of program activities.
- Create a nurturing and supportive environment for the participants.
- Work with the leadership team to plan and facilitate staff meetings, orientation, trips, events, etc.
- Develop and build relationships with parents and families of program participants.
- Attend internal and external agency meetings and training.
- Submit reports as required including monthly reports to supervisor.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field of study.
- Certificate in Adult Literacy preferred but not required.
- A minimum of at least two years of experience in an educational setting, high school or college preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required.
- Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to climb five flights of stairs, if required to conduct home visits and/or fieldwork.
- Ability to bend and retrieve objects and/or documents.
- Ability to travel in the boroughs of New York City and its adjacent counties via public transportation.
- Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time and in all types of weather, including inclement weather, if required to conduct home visits and/or field work.
BronxWorks offers a variety of benefits to full-time salaried employees as well as part-time salaried employees who work at least 20 hours per week year-round. Generous paid time off for personal, vacation, parental, and medical leave and a pension plan that is 100% employer paid.
We support all aspects of diversity, and in accordance with federal, state and local laws, does not discriminate unlawfully against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, military status, national origin (including ancestry), predisposing genetic characteristic, race, sex, gender, actual or perceived sexual orientation (including actual or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality), status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law.