No, this isn’t one of those ordinary jobs.
Cummins is a team of dependable, innovative thinkers, who are empowered to generate and deliver solutions for customers, community, and environment. Our employees develop their careers through the challenges only a diverse, global innovator can promise. This is a collaborative culture where thinking beyond your desk is more than part of the job. It is the job.
This is what we call Working Right.
Cummins is looking for an extraordinary Inside Sales Representative to join our Commercial Power Generation team in Portland, Oregon. As part of Cummins, we will add to your current skills by providing training, encouragement and growth within a teamwork environment. We invest in your professional growth by providing you with education and training opportunities to keep current on industry standards and products. You will gain valuable knowledge of the diesel engine industry and skills that will last a lifetime.
A commitment to excellence is deeply rooted in Cummins tradition of exceptional service. Our employees are dedicated to delivering the “Best Every Time, Every Day” with the goal of earning customers for life!
We take pride in providing an unmatched high caliber of service and support for Cummins engines, generators, filters, and related products that serve the varied needs of our customers. Crucial to accomplishing this is the energy and commitment of Cummins employees to the company.
- Reviews project specifications, single-line, and other customer provided documents and develop proposals for equipment and services meeting project requirements.
- Maintains technical knowledge of Cummins Power Generation products and achieve applicable certifications through Cummins Power Generation’s Training and Recognition program.
- Obtain buyout quotation from outside suppliers.
- Contacts prospective and current customers via phone and email to build positive relationships and loyalty that will generate future sales and repeat business.
- Maintain electronic bid board keeping track of bidding activity and schedules.
- Responds to customer inquiry about Power Generation products and services. Enters new customer data and update existing accounts in corporate database.
- Maintains accurate sales entry, reporting and forecasting through the utilization of Cummins tools and processes.
- Assures good communication and coordination between account management, field service, upstream influencers, sales management, and sales analysts (as applicable) to attain the goals of the sales strategy and culture.
- Direct sales and sales support of Cummins products and/or services.
- Direct Selling: Sells company products and services by developing new prospects and accounts via telephone or other technologies.
- Makes outbound follow-up calls to existing customers via telephone and email for repeat-sell, cross-sell and up-sell.
- Handles inbound, unsolicited prospect calls and converts them into sales.
- Achieves revenue and margin targets and ensures customer satisfaction through execution of a sales cycle from lead to sale.
- Sales Support: Creates and delivers qualified opportunities to sales representatives where appropriate.
- Assists salesforce with quotation/RFP management and other sales cycle operations as needed.
- Develops relationships to generate customer goodwill and loyalty.
- Conducts negotiations according to company guidelines.
- Responds to customer concerns about the company and its products and services.
- Investigates and troubleshoots customer transaction issues.
- Maintains accurate sales entry, reporting and forecasting through utilization of Cummins tools and processes (i.e. common sales cycle, Customer Relationship Management Systems).
- Seeks opportunities to utilize Customer Focus Six Sigma and Customer Support Excellence Tools to simultaneously grow the business and increase loyalty.
- Assures good communication and coordination between account management, field sales, upstream influencers, sales management, inside sales and sales analysts (as applicable) to attain the goals of the sales strategy and culture, management of customers, sales talent management and sales operations.
- Assists with the collection of receivables from accounts/customers.
Customer focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Ensures accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
Plans and aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Action oriented – Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
Persuades – Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
Instills trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Account Planning – Identifies objectives to drive execution of business and/or account strategy by reviewing the status relative to where it needs to be and enabling tracking of progress against targets.
Articulating Value Proposition – Interprets internal and external customer needs based on relevant application; explains and demonstrates products, solutions, and services to distinguish strengths and weaknesses to meet customer’s specific needs to differentiate against competition.
Intuitive Listening And Adapting Solutions – Translates needs, expectations, or asks from customers, stakeholders, etc. into actionable solutions through active listening and intuition; chooses or produces solutions (e.g. process change, tool, product, service, etc.) to meet or exceed the customers’ or stakeholders’ needs or expectations or to provide value.
Sales Forecasting – Collects and assesses customer data from internal and external sources; compares against historical data to determine useful inputs and create a forecast of future consumption patterns.
Sales Pipeline Management – Plans proactively for successful execution of account/territory-level sales strategies and plans based on current pipeline; evaluates pipeline health (size, contents, progress); adjusts sales strategy, plans, or high impact activities accordingly; as applicable coaches sellers in order to achieve sales objectives.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
Advanced certificates or college degree, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
Limited prior experience required. Experience as a quote analyst or another sales support function desirable. Limited travel may be required. Experience with customer relationship management software desirable. Experience with other software based sales and business tools desirable.
Cummins and E-Verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify.
Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity and start your career with Cummins today.
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: https://www.cumminstalentcommunity.com/profile/join/