Job Description – Immigration Caseworker I
Under the supervision of the Division Director, the Immigration Caseworker I will provide assistance to immigrants in accordance with IILA’s mission and our contractual obligations.
- Conduct community outreach for immigration services.
- Perform initial intake for immigration services and assess immigration status and applicable legal remedies for clients.
- Provide information and assessment on citizenship procedures.
- Under the guidance of an attorney or accredited representative, performs paralegal casework and application preparation for immigrant visa processing, adjustment of status, U-visas, VAWA, and other remedies.
- Help clients meet documentary requirements related to various Immigration procedures.
- Maintain accurate immigration records and reviewing all files periodically to ensure timely applications, submissions and follow up on all communications regarding filed petitions.
- Translate documents related to Immigration casework.
- Assist clients in direct translation support as needed.
- Assist attorney in the preparation and submission of applications for relief before the Immigration court.
- Ensure compliance with case file management and reporting requirements and with grant requirements.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and transactions between clients and agency.
- Provide appropriate bilingual and bicultural supportive services, linkage to community resources, outreach and assistance to the applicant in the utilization of those resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor or Associates degree or high school diploma/GED and two years of clerical experience in a related field.
- Must have proficient computer skills using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and possess fluency in both English and Spanish.
Desirable Qualities of Successful Candidate:
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to relate well with the public.
- A demonstrated commitment to immigration rights or other community or grass-roots commitment.
- Ability to be flexible, self-directed, and responsible.
- Ability organize, prioritize, and a commitment to accomplishment.
- Willingness to develop professional and technical skills.
- Ability to seek out and provide support for others as a team member.
- Have a proactive, solution-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Ability to be an appropriate role model.
- Ability to demonstrate emotional maturity.
- Ability to accept and value diversity in a multi-lingual and cross-cultural environment.
- Follow through on all duties and tasks assigned.
- Intermittent or sometimes continuous sitting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling and twisting.
- Frequent typing and use of computer.
- Must be able to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, and reach overhead and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Abilities required by the job include near and distance vision, talking and hearing.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 /hour
- clerical: 2 years (Required)
- Microsoft Word and Excel: 1 year (Required)
- Bilingual English/Spanish (Required)
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Employee discounts