Internship Program: To be eligible, applicants must be accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis as defined by the institution in which you are enrolled.
NOTE: YOU MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF ENROLLMENT ON A FULL OR HALF-TIME BASIS OR ACCEPTANCE OF ENROLLMENT AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION – FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN LOST CONSIDERATION.
This position will be filled at either the GS-3,GS-4, or GS-5 grade level. To qualify, the applicant must first meet the minimum requirements listed above. Grade determinations will be based on the below criteria:
GS-3: Completion of 1 full academic year of post-high school study (at least 30 semester or 45 quarter hours).
GS-4: Completion of 2 full academic years of post-high schol study (at least 60 semester or 90 quarter hours).
GS-5: Completion of all requirements for a bachelor’s or equivalent degree.
NOTE: TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION MATERIALS. CONFERRAL OF DEGREE(S) EARNED SHOULD BE PRESENT ON TRANSCRIPT(S). UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT(S)O K.
- This temporary not to exceed (NTE) one year appointment may be extended without further competition. In addition, within (120) days after an Intern’s successful completion of a course of academic study, a VA facility may convert that Intern non-competitively from the Internship Program to a term or permanent position in the competitive service, provided that all the terms of 5 CFR 362.204 are met and there is an available position. However, conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed.
- A minimum (2.5) cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) per semester/quarter, in good standing with the education institution, must be maintained for the duration of this PATHWAYS excepted service appointment. GPA must be provided in the transcripts.
- Must be able to complete 640 hours of work experience prior to completing degree course work requirements, OR must have at least (1) year of academic study remaining toward completion of current academic degree.
- If selected, student must sign a VAPAHCS Internship Program Participant Agreement and provide official transcripts at the end of each academic term.
- If selectee is converted, the student may be converted into a career ladder.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service
Note : A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management’s website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .