Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Highway Maintenance Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Highway Division – Region 2
District 4 Maintenance
We are looking for someone to join our hardworking crew to help keep Oregon’s roads safe. As part of our maintenance team, you will repair and rebuild roadways, bridges, structures and facilities by hand and by operating heavy or light equipment. If you are dependable and looking for a career with growth potential, ODOT wants you! Come join our team and experience our agency’s great culture.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Operate a wide variety of heavy equipment and perform manual labor to repair roadway surfaces and shoulders.
- Clean catch basins and related drainage systems.
- Maintain, repair or replace metal guardrail, concrete barriers, roadway delineators or milepost markers. Control traffic and clean up the roadway in emergency situations.
- Dispose of debris, clear brush, mow grass and spray roadside vegetation.
- Complete weather-related operations, including snow removal, deicing and sanding.
- Complete minor service and repair of equipment, tools and motorized equipment.
- Perform minor building maintenance, including janitorial, landscaping and light carpentry.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers and hazardous waste materials is expected.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend and stoop for extended periods of time and lift up to 60 pounds.
- May need to work any shift (days, nights, weekends) and be available at any time for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages. Click here to visit our full benefits website.
- Multi-modal ride sharing! Get There is Oregon’s easy-to-use carpool matching tool and trip planner that will get you where you need to go.
- Live, work and play in Corvallis, Oregon !
Want to know about new job postings? Click HERE to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
- Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
- Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
- Applying safety procedures.
- Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5 or 10 yard dump truck.
- Additionally, you will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; to be considered eligible for this position you must possess a current, valid commercial driver’s license A (CDL-A) OR have the ability to acquire one within six month of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) .
- You will be required to meet a 45-minute response time to 3700 SW Philomath Blvd, Corvallis, OR 97333 for emergency call outs.
- You must acquire an herbicide applicator’s license within 12 months.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know in the work experience section of your application! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Highway maintenance and/or construction experience
- Experience using construction or highway maintenance machinery.
- Public contact experience.
How to apply:
- Complete the application (we will not accept an attached resume in place of a completed application):
- If you are applying internally , update your employee Workday profile to complete the application. You can upload your resume to make updating the Job History section of your profile easier.
- If you are applying through the external job site, complete the application. You can upload your resume and the system will parse your information into the application.
- Complete questionnaire.
- After you submit your application, be sure to respond to the public records request authorization. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the public records request task will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran , the task to claim preference will come after the public records request question. Please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application. We will ask you for your documents later in the process.
- For questions, call Wesley Dawn in Recruitment at 503-378-6721 or email [email protected]
The fine print:
- Warning! The system will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. You must submit your application after you begin the process. You cannot save your progress and come back to it later.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as your related work experience, your education and the overall professionalism of your application materials.
- If you are a veteran you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference . If you checked that you are a veteran, we will ask you for your documents later in the process.
- We do not offer Visa sponsorships. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- You will be represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact the employee civil rights and diversity manager at 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.