Reporting to the Health Services Consultant 4, the Health Services Consultant 1 is responsible for timely, accurate and complete legal amendments and corrections to vital records in compliance with state law, rules and CHS policies and procedures.
The Division of Disease Control and Health Statistics (DCHS) works to accomplish the agency’s mission by identifying, controlling, and preventing disease and providing reliable public health information.
The Center for Health Statistics (CHS) collect health data and provides statistical analysis to identify and monitor disease and other health threats in population and provides vital records services to support the issuance of vital records used for proving identity, age and relationships to others. Public health and other government agencies can get data needed for health actions and the verification of public benefits eligibility.
This is a full-time non-permanent Health Services Consultant 1 position that is anticipated to last for 6 months.
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website, DOH Infographic (Download PDF reader), and see what it’s like to [email protected]!
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several “Employer of Choice” initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion. DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging [email protected] program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.)
What will you be doing? – Duties include:
- Review documents submitted by requestors for adoptions, amendments or corrections and use independent judgment regarding the approval and completion of requested actions.
- Stay current on department policies and procedures related to amending vital records.
- Comply with applicable statutes, rules, policies and procedures when approving or denying requests.
- Produce work at a level consummate with established policy and procedures, exercising professional judgment.
- Maintain expected turnaround times for processing vital records corrections and amendments.
- Provide input in policy and procedures development related to vital records amendment activities.
- Update database or hard copy record as appropriate.
- Maintain files of affidavits and other documents in a systematized manner to assist in retrieving and referencing them in the future.
- Provide information and clarification of laws, policies, procedures, and fees related to corrections and amendments of records to customers by phone, in person and via email.
- Investigate the status of requests and informs customers of status and delivery timelines.
- Functional user testing during periodic new system releases.
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate is a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
- Two (2) or more years of experience providing products and services that consistently meets or exceeds customer expectations. Assists customers in difficult and sensitive situations while staying calm and acting in a professional manner. Works with customers to identify options for getting their needs met.
- Three (3) or more years of experience of the ability to process a large volume of form transactions in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy.
- Basic-level MS Excel to create, modify, print and format spreadsheets, find and replace data, work with basic formulas and functions, use templates, styles, AutoFormats, and multiple worksheets.
- Basic-level experience using MS Word to create, format, edit, preview, print, and save documents; use standard functions to select, edit, copy, paste, format, and spell check text; create bulleted and numbered lists, indent and align paragraphs, and use bordering and shading features.
- Three (3) or more years of experience acquiring a functional knowledge of, reasonably applying and clearly communicating laws, rules and procedures that govern assigned work.
- Associate’s degree or higher; OR two (2) or more years of successful completion of college-level course work (72 quarter hours or semester equivalent).
- Advanced-level experience in using MS Excel to develop complex spreadsheets with macros, multiple math functions, advanced filters, and links to external sources of information; create custom toolbars and chart types, and use data analysis tools.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Willing and able to work indoors at a desk, on a computer or telephone the majority of a workday, in an open office environment with possible conversation and other noise distractions, with or without an accommodation.
- Work at a tobacco-free campus and environment.
- Travel 10% of time through-out Washington State.
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
- Work in a fast-paced/stressful environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
- Move object weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Interact and work with customers, some of whom may be frustrated or distressed in a positive, friendly and supportive manner that meets the needs and standards of the office and the agency.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding information accessed or discussed while performing the duties of the position.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Carlene Mealing-Baldwin at (360) 236-4408, [email protected] or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We’d love to hear from you. Click “Apply” to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific required qualifications for this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
Note: Do not attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. Veterans, please feel free to attach a copy of your DD214.
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification within the office.