Under general supervision, this position operates a variety of light to medium duty landscape and construction vehicles and equipment.
FLSA Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Regular working hours are Wednesday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Operates a variety of light to medium-duty vehicles and equipment such as backhoes, mowers, tractors, chainsaws, and hand-powered tools;
- Serves as a crew leader/crew member engaged in cemetery and landscape maintenance operations;
- Performs routine manual labor and maintenance tasks;
- Inspects and checks vehicles and equipment before use to ensure safe operating conditions;
- Performs minor equipment maintenance;
- Maintenance of the City's four cemeteries;
- Performs cemetery operations such as opening and closing gravesites, mausoleum crypts, coordination and supervision of mowing contractors, funeral homes, and vault companies that provide services in the four City owned cemeteries;
- Performs limited skilled maintenance and repairs on various buildings, structures, and facilities;
- Assists with loading and unloading supplies and materials related to maintenance and construction projects;
- Assists other employees as needed with duties, tools, and equipment; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and
- Six months experience operating various light to medium-duty motorized vehicles and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- hazards and safety precautions involved in the operation of landscape and construction vehicles and equipment.
- state and local laws pertaining to the operation of equipment on highways.
- the safe operation of assigned equipment and vehicles.
- completing minor adjustments and repairs to assigned equipment.
- communicating effectively.
- work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- direct the work of assigned crew members.
- prepare simple records.
- use assigned equipment.
- work cooperatively with City officials, other employees, and the general public.
- work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- meet mental and physical demands of the job.
- Currently possess a valid N.C. Driver's License.
- Valid N.C. Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) required within 6 months of hire.
- This position requires work during inclement weather, natural disasters, emergency situations, and on call duty.