This position is remote.
Soar With Us
Flying ahead of the flock for over 30 years, we at Freedom Mortgage have taken millions of Americans under our wing and helped them achieve their dreams of financial betterment and homeownership. This is only possible through our vast knowledge base and broad capabilities, and it’s demonstrated by our winning trajectory.
If you are…
- Conscientious. You’ll review various types of loans for completeness, accuracy, and compliance.
- A comfortable communicator. You’re a skilled communicator, comfortable conversing with third parties.
- Skilled in the field. You’ll keep your knowledge up-to-date and in perfect working order, covering multiple loan product guidelines, DU/LP guidelines, and risk assessment tools used to make decisions on mortgage loans.
- A great multitasker. You’ll determine accuracy and completeness of files, ensure all processes are consistent, and communicate regularly with the sales team, processors, and management.
- A fair judge. You’ll exercise good judgment, being fair and honest in all aspects of your role, undertaking reasonableness tests and issuing quality decisions.
- A strong decision-maker. You’re confident in your work, making firm decisions based on fact and reasonableness without feeling the need to waver or crumble under pressure.
… then you belong in the Freedom family.
The Opportunity: Underwriter (Government)
Freedom Mortgage is seeking a professional and experienced Underwriter to underwrite residential loans in compliance with company and secondary market standards, and all applicable law. The role will see you examining loan documentation for accuracy and completeness, and will cover conventional, FHA, and Special Program loans. Our ideal Underwriter is extremely knowledgeable about all elements of their field, with incredible attention to detail and an analytical approach to ensure reviews are as thorough and accurate as possible. You’ll be a self-starter, able to deliver effective results in a busy and often changing environment.
What does the job look like?
As an Underwriter, your daily duties will include…
- Underwriting loans to verify for completeness, accuracy, and compliance. This involves reviewing income documentation, tax returns, credit reports, preliminary reports, judgments, bankruptcy documents and appraisals, and personal and business income statements.
- Deciding whether the file is complete enough to make your decision and requesting additional information if not.
- Using a fair and rational approach to make your decisions, undertaking reasonableness tests and ensuring your decisions are of high quality.
- Staying up to date with multiple loan product guidelines, as well as any other tools or requirements for you to excel in your role (such as TILA, RESPA, and Predatory Lending).
- Assisting in the preparation of repurchase responses and rebuttal reviews.
Education & Certification Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience
- FHA Designation Required
If you invest your drive and commitment with us, you’ll realize an incredible return, in a diverse environment where all staff can grow and flourish. With excellent training and development opportunities available at all levels, a great benefits package, and a talented working family all around you, with Freedom, you’ll enjoy a rewarding, challenging, and exciting career where you can reach incredible new heights.
Soar With Us
Founded in Mount Laurel, NJ in 1990, Freedom Mortgage has since grown into one of the largest and fastest-growing privately owned full-service residential lenders in the USA. Licensed in all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, Freedom Mortgage has over 5000 employees nationwide, proudly servicing $225.6 billion, and is still growing.
Our mission is to foster homeownership in America. Freedom is a leader in VA mortgage lending and is one of the mortgage industry’s largest philanthropic supporters of the USO and military families through its Team Freedom Cares philanthropic arm.
Locations include suburban Philadelphia and Fishers, IN, two regions where we were named Top Workplaces. We also have large operating centers countrywide, including these desirable markets: Beaverton , OR; Boca Raton, FL; Columbia, MD; Jacksonville, FL; Melville, NY; Plano, TX; San Dimas, CA; Tempe, AZ; Troy, MI and Woodbridge, VA.
If you seek a sense of community, top training, opportunity for advancement, a comprehensive benefits package and reward and recognition program, look no further.
Freedom Mortgage Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or their status as a protected veteran or an individual with disabilities. Local applicants encouraged to apply. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Smoke-free workplace. Drug-free work environment. Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision and 401(k). All resumes are held in confidence. Only candidates whose profiles closely match requirements will be contacted during this search. LENDER NMLS ID:2767
Equal Opportunity Employer- Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans