Position Summary: This is a technical support position, working with Designers, Engineers, and Senior Engineers. The GIS Technician will support the maintenance and operation of client’s mapping and GIS applications by maintaining, reporting, and posting work or by gathering data to be inputted by others. This position will be expected to function independently with limited professional and technical supervision. This position may require contact with client engineers and management. This position is subject to supervision of progress, quality, and production.
- Work directly with engineering and design personnel to prepare project drawings and related documents, maintain technical files, and manage internal and external transmittals.
- Act as a fully contributing member of the design team on minor and major projects for clients/Pike Engineering.
- Fully proficient with the placement and maintenance of graphical features in client GIS systems such as Intergraph FRAMME, Small World, or G-Tech.
- Learn and understand client specific compatible units used for construction and development of work requests, job cards, and construction orders.
- Develop a working knowledge of client construction standards and utility information systems.
- Prepare drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3-D, Microstation, or other integrated electronic drawing packages as required.
- Convert client/Pike Engineering supplied drawings from hard copy to electronic format through scanning and digitizing or through re-drawing.
- Convert drawings between different electronic formats.
- Set up drawings using proper scaling techniques and re-scale drawings as necessary.
- Combine drawings from several different sources into consolidated drawing sets with consistent scales, fonts, line weights, blocks, and attributes.
- Develop and maintain drawing standards (fonts, line weights, border sheets, naming conventions, etc.) for use in Pike Engineering produced drawings.
- Contribute to design by providing accurate measurements to designers and engineers.
- Draw plan and profile views as required using internal or client provided stationing and offset information.
- As needed, assist in power restoration efforts with natural disaster events.
- Additional responsibilities and/or duties as assigned.
- Graduate with a two-year degree in automated computer design/drafting or related field
- Experience in the area of utility Geographical Information Systems
- 3+ years of experience or work equivalent
- Experience working with current utility industry GIS and WMIS programs preferred
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; and reach with hands and arms.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work). The employee may be subject to one or more of the following atmospheric conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
- Work independently
- Customer Oriented
- Able to manage multiple tasks and provide leadership to other team members.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.