The GI Lab Tech assists with basic endoscopic procedures (Colonoscopy and EGD), utilizing video endoscopes and specialized equipment, the obtaining of laboratory specimens, setting up and turning over procedure rooms, and the reprocessing of endoscopes. Assists the registered nurse and physician with the care of patients undergoing procedures involving the gastrointestinal tract.
1. Set up procedure rooms and equipment before and after each
procedure. Perform cleaning and disinfection of work surfaces. Utilization of personal protective equipment.
2. Assist Registered Nurses and physicians with endoscopic procedures utilizing endotherapy, and obtaining laboratory specimens. Utilization of personal protective equipment. Assist with the transportation of patients to and from procedure rooms, to pre or post procedure area. Assist in the turning and positioning of patients. Assisting with the application of monitoring equipment, oxygen, and suctioning; under the supervision of the Registered Nurse.
3. Assist the Registered Nurses care for patients in the pre and post procedural area: cleaning and dressing of procedure carts, escorting discharged patients to the exit via wheelchair, assist with data collection of vital signs and urine specimens.
4. Perform pre cleaning, manual cleaning, and high level disinfection of endoscopes and accessories.
5. Perform errands and stocking: delivering laboratory specimens to the laboratory, stock work areas with required equipment and linen, maintain the procedure area by breaking down boxes, deliver or pick up equipment from other areas of the hospital.